Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NEED help with Remote Database please

NEED help with Remote Database please

[ Edited ]

I installed ACT on my work laptop for the sole purpose of being able to do updates for my Boss. He has the same version on his laptop ACT 2010 V12.1.181.0

I am totally lost. I managed to make his computer the Publisher and mine the Remote, but now my question is, do I use the remote database for new contact entries and when it comes time to put it on my Boss's computer how do I do it. Do I save as? I have absolutely no idea of how I now get it from my computer to his. I would appreciate any help. In simple form if possible, it took me 2 1/2 hours just figuring out how to do the publisher and remote thing Smiley Sad

Does it work by synchronizing over a wireless network?

I know this question must sound really dumb to people but I have never used this program before and I am no spring chicken.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: NEED help with Remote Database please

Hello Charmy98,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

You mention that you have a wireless network... are you able to share files across this network?  The computers have to be able to recognize each other across the network for the sync to work.

If you have your remote database restored on your workstation - before initiating the sync you will need your database and the Publisher database open at the same time.  On the remote - to initiate the sync: go to Tools > Synchronize Database > Synchronize Now.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Actually I have no idea, one comp is running XP Professional and the other is Vista, I don't know if this makes a difference. So if I can't do it this way, how else do I get the database from the remote computer to the publisher computer?

Thank you,

Vicki

Platinum Super Contributor

Have you attempted to sync yet?  Attempting will tell you if it is possible or not.  If you get an error message, please post it here so we can determine if it is a connection issue.

Greg Martin
Sage

No I haven't tried to sync yet. I have some more contacts to add to the remote database first. I will post again here if I run into trouble at a later date. Thanks for your reply and have a Great Christmas