Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mystery of sync set criteria

Mystery of sync set criteria

[ Edited ]

Hello all

I am using Outlook 2007 and ACT Pro 2011 on Windows XP.
I'm trying to make a fresh start with syncing my ACT contacts with Outlook.  I have deleted all my contacts from the Outlook 'contacts' folder.  I have followed the steps found here:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27105/~/contacts-fail-to-sync-between-micro...

I want to have control over what contacts from our company database are transfered into my Outlook.  To do this I defined a sync set of 10 contacts.  I used a User Field and entered 'Yes' for these 10 contacts.  In the sync set criteria I entered 'Operator Equal to Yes' for that User Field.  When I preview this sync set criteria, only the 10 contacts I want are shown.
I then check that only this custom sync set is ticked in the synchronise contact window and synchronise outlook.

72 contacts appear in my Outlook.10 of these are the ones I chose.  The rest have nothing in common.  They are from different sources, added by different people.  For some the User Field I've based the criteria on is 'no' for others it is blank.

Why is this happening?  I want to make use of ACT but that is impossible if I can't take control of the sync process.

There are 1888 contacts in the database - why these 62?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Mystery of sync set criteria

One of the things I have found with synch is that often it appears haphazard.

Some things might be worth a try:

Have you tried running maintenance on your database

After you have setup your set reboot your machine and test.

Hve you tested another field rather than a usr field like ID Status and as it is multiselect add an option to tick for your selected contacts like Bob's Phone

The KB you mentioned involves removing the metadata file from your message I assume you did this?

I am still evaluating 2012 given some of the issues mentioned here and other places but will do some further testing of this feature on my test system as this seems very odd.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Yes, I followed the knowledge base article exactly and removed all metacontact data.

I just tried performing database maintenance and rebooting.  This time I synced Outlook without any sync sets being ticked.

64 contacts came across - they appear to be the same ones every time.  2 of these contacts are from the sync set I want, which explains why I got 72 on my last attempt.

If no sync sets are selected where are these 64 contacts coming from?

Is there anyway to edit the metadata file so that these files wont sync?

[ Edited ]

Today I deleted my remote database, all metadata files and uninstalled ACT.

I created a fresh new remote database from the server, with a different name to the previous one.

I then reinstalled and went through the steps to sync the 10 contacts I want.

The exact same thing happened again - 72 contacts appeared in Outlook.  Why is this happening?

The fact that this is a new remote database, with a new ACT install tells me that the problem is being generated from the main ACT database itself.

I tried adding all the mystery contacts to a lookup to compare them.  I checked all fields, including user fields.  I cannot see anything that links them together.

[ Edited ]

I appear to have found a solution to this.  I duplicated the contacts and then used Copy/Move contact data to move all details and history to the duplicate and delete the toxic contact.

After doing this and syncing with outlook with all sync sets deselected, the contact did not sync. 

I have now gone through all of the 60+ toxic contacts and fixed them using this method.  However, I kept 1 for experimentation - I'm still interested in why this happens if anyone has any ideas.