Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My database file will not open

My database file will not open

Had a faulty hard drive which we have replaced and re-installed ACT Pro. But we had to get a data recovery company to recover the files from the faulty hard drive.

I have recovered the ADF file (which is approx 50mb) and the ALF file (which is approx 5mb).

Are there any other files needed to be recovered?

I try to open the database using the 'open an existing Act database', then I click on the 'The database I want is not listed' at the bottom of the window, then by changing the file type to ADF I find our database.

I then select and open, a new window opens which says 'Act will now verify the database...'' after clicking OK, another window opens which says 'working' but after 8 hours+ nothing else happens.

I dont have a backup file.

Can anyone help?

Re: My database file will not open

[ Edited ]
I stand corrected
Silver Super Contributor

You actually can recover from an ADF and an ALF provided they are intact.  There is a folder structure that includes attachments, report and document templates, etc. so you'll probably need those too but I've recovered quite a few systems when we didn't have a good backup of the database.  You should probably get an Act! Certified Consultant to help you out with the recovery but you could do it yourself if you wanted.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

If I wanted to try recovery myself, are there ant instructions available on how to do this?

Silver Super Contributor

This should get you started.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27607

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Many thanks I will try that and post how I get on!

No luck with this.

Using the command screen:

- cant get anything to work/happen using the commands

- Trying to 'attach' when i enter the full file path I get the message 'Unhandled exception...the database name exceeds the max length of 32 characters' - (the path exceeds 32 characters but the database name is only 7 characters long, so dont get this message)

I  assume the first thing I need to do is attach to SQL (whatever this is/means) - but cant do this.

Using the Act Diagnostic window - only the 'ACT2014demo' database appears, my own database file is in the same folder but does not apper in this window.

Is there any thing else I can try?