Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Office Setup - 4 laptops with separate databases, now I would like to pull all that information into one main database on my desktop

My Office Setup - 4 laptops with separate databases, now I would like to pull all that information into one main database on my desktop

Hello ACT Community,

I have 4 sales people, who are all monitoring their own customers in a separate ACT database on their individual laptops.  I would like to synchronize all four databases from their computers to my main desktop computer.  I would like to see all the peoples records on my computer, as well as be able to retain the information if one of my people leave for good and take the laptop with them.  I have ACT Premium 2009 running on each computer with multiple user licenses available.

So far I created the main database on my desktop, and created a remote database.  I am however unclear how to use the sync sets and if any user names and passwords will be required to sync to this remote database and back to my desktop.  How can I sync the 4 laptops databases to this remote database, and ultimately sync the remote database to my main database on my desktop?   Once this is complete, how will I be able to indentify whether that particular contact record was from sales person 1 or sales person 2?

Thank you,

Adam 

Silver Contributor

Re: My Office Setup - 4 laptops with separate databases, now I would like to pull all that information into one main database on my desktop

[ Edited ]

Sync Sets can be useful if you are trying to limit the size of the remote database either for performance reasons (smaller database) or Security (other users records are not in the database). If these are not a requirement, it would be alright to use a single sync set and just sync all records to each database.

A Sync Set defines the ACT! synchronization Users and the list of contact records that you wish to include in the synchronization. The Sync Set can be limited to one remote user and one contact or can include all users and all contact records in your ACT! database. Sync Sets are created in the Publishing (Parent) database.

Sage KB Article covers this. 

How to Manage Sync Sets in ACT!

To answer some of your other quiestions. You should set up individual users to properly identify who created the entry and to fulfil ACT licensing requirements. Individual user names will allow you to determine to who a record, history, note, Sales Opportunity belong.

Setting up sync is going to look like a hub and spoke.  The main database is the hub and each remote database is at the end of a spoke. All databases sync to the master.

[Edit: Shortened hyperlink to fit on screen]

Message Edited by ghollister on 04-21-2010 12:42 PM
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: My Office Setup - 4 laptops with separate databases, now I would like to pull all that information into one main database on my desktop

Hello Jon, I appreciate you taking the time to look into my question.  It takes a me couple times reading through this ACT documentation and language to pick it up.

Before reading your response I made one remote database on my desktop and attempted to create a sync set to my new, empty, main database where I would like to pool the information from all 4 of the sales laptops.  My idea was that this remote database would pull the information from the 4 laptops individually, and then I could sync this remote database to my main database and fill it up with records.  However after reading your post, I believe I need 4 remote databases, one for each source of information I want to sync. 

I believe I understand what you are saying about how my setup will look like a spoke and wheel, with remote databases at the end of the spokes.  Does this mean, that the only remote databases I will need will be the ones that link to each of the four laptops databases (in other words only 4 remote databases total)?

So for each sales laptop (each one of the four) I need to create a remote database (4 total) and sync all records from that laptop to its corresponding remote database?  Then I can setup my main database on my desktop to sync with the 4 remote databases when they are not being updated with the sale's laptops information?  Also do you know the name/label of the field that tells me who owns that record or originated it when I am looking at my main database? 

Thank you your continued support in piecing ACT together for me.