Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Disappointing Experience

My Disappointing Experience

I have been an ACT! customer for many years (nearly 15) and have been consistently disappointed with the performance of this program. Unfortunately, I have not had the time nor patience to take my 3000+ customers and input that data elsewhere so I have been perpetually stuck using ACT! Most recently, I updated to ACT! 2008 hoping for a notable improvement from my nightmarish experiences in ACT! 2006. I hired a local computer technician and the issues, once again, began. First, the old database wouldn't import into 08 from 06. Despite hours on the phone with tech support (a total nearing 6) the technicians from ACT! could not make our old database work with the new. My computer tech reported to me that after this marathon of trouble on a fresh install of 08, he immediately searched for the problem on the net himself and found the solution in under five minutes from another frustrated ACT! user with the same problem. Obviously, he kicked himself for seeking the help of ACT! technicians before that of another user. The fix this other person used remedied the issue immediately. Needless to say, both the tech and I felt as though the ACT! technician's lack of access to this solutions was inexcusable. Furthermore, we were not offered elevation of our issue until after this incredible amount of time on the phone. The tutorials sent forward by ACT! regarding the steps to set up a remote synchronization setup were too skeletal, even for the technically inclined, and did not clearly state important information in a proper sequence. For example, the ACT! salesperson strongly implied that there was no need for a Static IP on the server side of our ACT! database and the technical article did not make it known that this was of key importance until later in the article. The list of minor frustrations with ACT! including years of technical issues and frustration are beyond the scope of a forum post but my ultimate annoyance came when I was, after my tech support marathon, offered to pay technical support for ACT! after my initial setup and 30 days. When did mainstream programs begin requiring an additional paid technical team to keep them running? I only have ACT! on two computers (with a third to follow shortly) and I can't imagine what a larger company must go through to keep this software running. The fact that just installing and getting ready to use ACT! required this much effort is inexcusable and yet consistent with my past experiences. I feel jaded and dismissed by the company with the exception of my most recent sales rep who at least directed me to the forum to post my situation. I would sincerely ask that someone from ACT! acknowledge my problems.
Champion Listener

Re: My Disappointing Experience

bheffner has been contacted by the ACT! team.

When did mainstream programs begin requiring an additional paid technical team to keep them running?

I completely agree! I have been using ACT now for just two years and the amount of phone time required to get things started (installation issues were abundant), waiting for a new installation CD to show up (which they wanted to charge me for on the same day I bought the program and found out that the version I purchased had a "glitch" in it after trying to complete the install. They tried to charge me for the new CD!)

After many phone calls and many lengthy conversations things were working fine; for about three weeks (just past the 30 day trial) and I had no other choice but to purchase the support plan (at a discounted savings of course!) in order to be able to continue using the program and access all my contacts which I transferred from Outlook.
When 10.0 came out, I thought... great! Hopefully all the trouble I went through with 8.0 will be fixed with 10.0. Not the case. Again, installation issues from the get go, support call after support call to get going. Conversion problems from 8-10.0. Then, things were working great! For about 3 weeks (sound familiar). Now I can not even access my database. It worked fine last Friday, no changes to the computer or firewall settings or anything. And now I can not access my files and I am past the 30 day trial. I use to recommend the program to our contacts, but now what the technical plan seems to be a necessity in order to use it, I recommend that my contacts look at other programs with less technical issues and a seemingly mandatory technical support plan.

Smiley Sad
Champion Listener

bheffner's issues have been resolved. The Sage team has tried reaching out to sirsmiley.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Full Disclosure: I make most of my living supporting ACT!.  That said I can only tell you SirSmiley that many programs need paid help that we all consider simple. I paid dearly for my Photoshop Class.

For ACT! to stay in business they rewrote the program so it uses technology for the new century. The 20 year old codebase database engine had to go. For the most part ACT! using MS SQL is a great thing because I can support it without needing to know SQL. This is not your father's ACT!. I feel your pain every day - some days I'm VERY stumped.

My two cents from the frontline,

Michael
-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net