Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Act keeps reseting and I loose my preferences

Copper Contributor

Re: My Act keeps reseting and I loose my preferences

Mike, I assume that you're referring to a "Preferences XML file" to backup in SQL-based versions of ACT! Is there a similar file that I could backup to protect my Preferences in ACT! 2004?

Thanks!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Preferences in ACT! 2004 (6.0) were in the Windows registry.

There is a utility in ACTDIAG to backup the ACT! registry keys

New to thread.  I am running ACT 2008 (10.0.1.199).  When I ask to update it says I'm running the latest version of ACT.  I keep setting custom columns is various views, specifically Companies and Groups.  The settings may last several days, but invariably revert back to the default settings.  Happened again today when I fired up the computer (laptop).  Any further advice?
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the help, Mike.
Copper Contributor

Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Preferences and look for a file that ends preferences206.xml (start of file name will differ with region) You will need to be shoing hidden files and folders in windows to see the application data folder. ( Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders)

See if you have some files that end with .xmlbadxxxxxxxxxx.txt (where xxxxxxx is a datestamp)

If you do then this if evidence of you antivirus software renaming these files as it is mistakingly thinking they are up to no good. Add this preference file to your exceptions in your AV, you may need to set preferences one more time and then test to see if preferences stick.

Thanks for your response.  I read through the other messages and comments in this and a few other threads and did all the things suggested last night.  I further followed your instructions this morning and found only the following two files: "USPREFERENCES206.XML" and USPREFERENCES206.XML.OLD".  There was nothing else there matching your above description.  When I fired up my computer this morning the settings held from yesterday.  Hopefully the problem is solved.  However, my experience in the past has shown that the settings usually would hold for from a few days to a few weeks.  Then all of a sudden on startup, for no apparent reason, everything reverts back to the default.  Let's see what happens this time.  Again, thanks for your assistance.
Tuned Listener

Hi

I cant find the link on the ACT! website,  searching for download ACT!2008 Premium - Trial Version.

If you have any Idea? pls share with me.

Thanks!
Skumar

sanjay wrote:
Hi

I cant find the link on the ACT! website,  searching for download ACT!2008 Premium - Trial Version.

If you have any Idea? pls share with me.

Thanks!
Skumar

The Premium trial isn't available on the act.com site. You need to contact your local Sage office or an ACC to get a copy.

Mongoose501 wrote:
Thanks for your response.  I read through the other messages and comments in this and a few other threads and did all the things suggested last night.  I further followed your instructions this morning and found only the following two files: "USPREFERENCES206.XML" and USPREFERENCES206.XML.OLD".  There was nothing else there matching your above description.  When I fired up my computer this morning the settings held from yesterday.  Hopefully the problem is solved.  However, my experience in the past has shown that the settings usually would hold for from a few days to a few weeks.  Then all of a sudden on startup, for no apparent reason, everything reverts back to the default.  Let's see what happens this time.  Again, thanks for your assistance.

You could try Start | Run | ACTDIAG
Tools | Delete Preferences

Here is an ACT! Knowledge Base Article on doing this for ACT! 8.0

This will re-create the prefs file. Then, let us know if it happens again.

Mongoose501 wrote:
New to thread.  I am running ACT 2008 (10.0.1.199).  When I ask to update it says I'm running the latest version of ACT.  I keep setting custom columns is various views, specifically Companies and Groups.  The settings may last several days, but invariably revert back to the default settings.  Happened again today when I fired up the computer (laptop).  Any further advice?

10.01 is the latest build publically available.

I would try - Start | Run - ACTDIAG
Tools | Delete Preferences

You'll need to re-create them, but hopefully this will clean any damage that might have been there