Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My ACT! Email locks up and leaves 1.6GB fragmented file

My ACT! Email locks up and leaves 1.6GB fragmented file

I'm using ACT by Sage 2010, XP operating system, ACT Email, on a Sony Vaio VGN-S660P laptop.

My email locks up often.  Usually I have to go into the Task Manager, Processes, and end the process on ActEmail.exe.  After that, I can usually restart email from the ACT user interface.  I also have to end the ActEmail.exe process after exiting email, just so I can have access to the ACT window to Exit.

I think in a related thing, when I defrag the harddrive, it leaves 8 fragments, approx 1.6GB in total size, in the file:  \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\Email\12\ActEmailMessageStore.mdf.

These things are killing my productivity.  If anyone can help, I will be in your debt.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: My ACT! Email locks up and leaves 1.6GB fragmented file

Hello Quinn,

Have you been able to determine a pattern to you email system hanging up?  Is it only on mass mailings (mail merge) or does it occur with individual emails?

How much memory (RAM) is installed on your computer?

The MDF is the email database file and is locked by the SQL service, thus the defrag process will not be able to alter it.  You can stop the SQL service and then run the defrag (Note: I highly recommend that you backup your email database before doing so), keeping in mind that if you do not have enough continguous space available it may not affect these fragments.  To stop the SQL service: close Act! and Act! email > click on Windows Start > select Run > enter 'Services.msc'.  On the Services screen, locate 'SQL Server (Act7)' > left click and select Stop.  To restart it is to left click and select Start.

Greg Martin
Sage