Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multiple users accessing the same Activity - losing valuable information! PLEASE HELP

Multiple users accessing the same Activity - losing valuable information! PLEASE HELP

[ Edited ]
We have three users on our ACT 10 database. Sometimes two or even all of us will access the same activity. This seems to be a major flaw that three people can access the same activity. I don't know who wins, but if one or all of us make changes in the activity or details, they will not "stick" because other people are also in the activity.

In our old version of ACT, the program would not allow but one user in each activity citing "user x" is editing this activity. Is there a way to make this happen on this version of ACT? We are having a terrible time losing data!

Thanks.

Message Edited by cbplans on 03-26-2008 08:13 AM
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Multiple users accessing the same Activity - losing valuable information! PLEASE HELP

I don't think there is a way to prevent 2 users editing the same activity. Or to warn them...

If other could confirm that, you can request it as a new feature: http://www.act.com/community/feature/

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

Re: Multiple users accessing the same Activity - losing valuable information! PLEASE HELP

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know/understand why they would take away such a valuable feature when creating 10.0?

I have emailed them through the link you provided; thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I'd guess no-one has hit this problem and made them think about it.

Why do you have multiple users editing the same activity?

We are an insurance agency, so often times that client is active during their renewal month. There are three of us in the office that may have had contact with the client in some form. It has happened where two of us are accessing the client's renewal activity and adding details to the activity. Since we were both, not knowing, in the activity at the same time, only one of our details will stick to the activity. It's very frustrating.

All other versions of the old ACT that we have used would not let more than one user access the same activity. It would give you a error saying something like, User: George is accessing this activity and it cannot be opened.

This, to me, is a MAJOR issue and needs to be fixed!

Nickel Elite Contributor

My suggestion would be that if you are not clearing the activity then you should go to Contact | Record History to record the contact as a separate history item rather than adding the separate activity details.

The file locking was required on ACT! 6 and before because the codebase engine was file based and locking was required to avoid corrupting the database. That risk is not present in the SQL database engine because the SQL server controls database access but there is the risk that with concurrent updates, only one will get recorded. I don't know if record locking is possible now but I would suggest that you make the request for that as a feature addition.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks. I have made that request. I REALLY hope that gets added as it is causing a LOT of frustration in our office!