Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multiple processes of ACT running

Multiple processes of ACT running

Frequently, I’ll notice that ACT will have multiple processes running when I look at System Explorer. Right now I’m seeing 3 such instances, each consuming a large amount of memory. My machine is a laptop, and at the end of the day, I’ll close out of ACT and shut the lid putting it into sleep mode.

Is it possible ACT is not exiting completely, or it goes to sleep before ACT exits?

I’m running ACT 10.0.3.182 Hotfix 1 on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with 2Mb of RAM and XP SP3.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Multiple processes of ACT running

Yes, they are all the same name:

ActSage.exe (three instances) and they have different PID numbers.

By the way, I accidentally clicked the button in the right corner of your post, and now it's marking this as Solved. This is my first post, and I didn't know what that button meant. Sorry.

If you re-boot and then use ACT!, do they re-appear?

Are there any errors in the Windows Event Log?

No, after a re-boot and restarting ACT, there is only one instance. It seems to add additional processes after time (and like I said, maybe it's as a result of me putting the laptop to sleep??).

The only errors I see in the event viewer has this type of a message - the xml file will vary, but it's always in the HistoryQueue folder.

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Dean\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\HistoryQueue\tmp2E.xml' because it is being used by another process.

Do you exit ACT! before putting it to sleep? Althought the SQL service would still be running...

That error is nothing to worry about

Yes, I do exit ACT before putting the laptop to sleep. There may be times (once every 2 weeks or so) that I put the laptop to sleep with ACT running because I know I'm going to open up the laptop again in 5 minutes and don't want to completely restart ACT (such as when I'm walking to another office). However, this is the exception rather than the rule.

I suppose the larger question is this: Does having multiple processes of ACT running hurt anything?

• Is data intregrity in question?
  • Is performace taking a hit?

Thanks for your continued replies...

What you are seeing seems to be something that XP often does. For some reason not all the processes for a program will close when you exit the program. I have seen the problem with several different programs running on XP including Word, Excel and Outlook. The unclosed process sometimes will block the launching of the program. I've been able to resolve it using the task manager and ending all instances of the specific process and then I am able to successfully launch the program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, I have also found that a "hanging" process will prevent the launch of that same program - especially Outlook. Using task manager to deleting the currently running process will remove it from memory and allow the subject program to start normally.

However, these additional "hanging" processes of ACT do not provent ACT from starting another process, which results in multiple instances or processes running concurrently. So, I suppose it's good that it doesn't prevent ACT from running. But does it cost a performance hit? Is the data intregrity going to be an issue? Is there reason to be concerned or alarmed? Is there a way (other than viewing task manager) to ensure ACT is closed entirely and all ACT processes shut down when exiting ACT?

Thanks!

You ask some very valid questions. Unfortunately I've not experienced the hanging process problem with the ACT! program and I don't have an answer for you. If I do find out anything, I'll be sure to post it.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129