Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multiple emails for one contact

Multiple emails for one contact

I have a quite a few contacts that have multiple email addresses. I would like to know

a - can one Contact be given more than 1 email address (primarily to solve b)

b - I want to be able to keep the history of emails from each address from this contact

I understand this would be possible if I created a 2nd Contact for the same person however this would be quite tedious when I have around 20-30 contacts like this.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Multiple emails for one contact

Just create an additional email field, or as many as you want.  The Outlook attach process will search all email addresses related to that contact, and attach the message if found.  Hope this helps...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Contributor

Here's another idea.  ACT has a default of 2 eMail addresses included.  One is called work and one is called personal.  Now, I keep up with the home eMail address as such, but if you don't need to keep a home eMail and you generally don't have more than 2 eMail addresses, you can use the personal and move the field to the main contact page.  It can then be relabeled "work eMail #2" or the such.

If you keep up with 3 or more, then the other answer of adding additional eMail addresses is the better solution.

Just a thought and hope is helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Create additional email addresses for each contact

Hi. Thanks for the responses. ACT was set-up for us by a 3rd party. There does not appear to be a Personal email field and I dont know how to create a new field.. I've had look through the forums and dont mutliple searches. Seems everyone knows how to do it except me Smiley Sad

Keep in mind the aim of this exercise is to have ACT keep a history of emails for both email addresses for the Contact. 

Bronze Contributor

Re: Create additional email addresses for each contact

[ Edited ]

Here's what you do: 

1.  Make a backup

2.  Make a second backup

Find personal eMail
There should be a tab called "Home Address"

Click on that tab and you should see "Personal EMail"

Now to move the field:

| Tools | Design Layouts | Contact |

| Click on "Home Address" Tab | (You may have to do this twice slowly)

| Highlight the field and label | then hit delete (Don't worry, the field still exists; it has moved from the layout to the pool of available fields)

| Click on the main section |

| Click on "Field" selector on the left side of the screen |

| Click anywhere in the open area of the contact screen |

| Select "Personal EMail" | from list of available fields

You will now have to move some of the fields around so that the eMail fits.

For creating a new field, ...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1533...

Actually this knowledgebase article should answer a lot of your questions.

Hope this helped.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 03-31-2010 04:59 PM
John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Hi Richard, I had orginally been told by an Australian ACT! Reseller me that the Outlook attach process wont work this way. After receiving your forum comment I asked them to add the extra email address field.

I have tested it and it only seems to attach emails from the original email field. Have I missed something?

Platinum Super Contributor

Was the field created as an 'email' field?  The easy way to determine this: can you put an email address in the field does it underline and have a blue color?  And can you then click on that email address and have it initiate a new email message?

If it was not designated an 'email' field, the attach process will not be able to search it.

Greg Martin
Sage

Yes, it certainly does appear like an email field as it gets the Blue text and is automatically underlined once typed.
Platinum Super Contributor

What version of Act! are you running?
Greg Martin
Sage

ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1