Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Multiple Outlook pst files and Act 2013

Copper Contributor

Multiple Outlook pst files and Act 2013

We have a very old version of act but are finally taking the plunge to 2013 hopefully. We have an unusual setup for outlook and want to be sure we won't encounter any problems

1.  We use Outlook 2007 LOCALLY and do *NOT* have exchange server. All the pst files we use are stored on a server but accessed from workstations.

2. I have a main pst file which receives and sends emails. This main pst file contains work email accounts and personal ones which are delivered into different outlook folders. ie some emails are relavent to act and others are not. I presume this is no problem. 

3. I assume act will automatically link to any email address that is in act and outlook.

4. Maybe a few days later I will file some of my emails. This will involve moving them into a different pst file (PST-A) where emails are filed by client or supplier or whatever. At this point the email is presumably ALREADY indexed into act...so do i have to copy or cut and paste or drag and drop to retain the link between the email once it has been moved and Act ?????

5. Then maybe a few more days later I physically copy the whole of the pst file (PST-A) to other users. They will thus see my filed emails and effectively shre them. THEY WILL NOT ADD OR CHANGE THE CONTENTS OF THIS PST FILE as a subsequent copy by me will over-write changes. However they will be using the same Act database as myself. So will their login to Act retain the same links to the emails in their **COPY** OF PST-A ???

This is our workaround for not being able to share pst files in outlook. I'd love to hear of a better alternative that is compatible with Act !!!

Copper Contributor

Re: Multiple Outlook pst files and Act 2013

my answer to my question: it doens't really matter as the assumptions i made are wrong. there is no clever permanent link from an email message in act to one in outlook. Act just takes a copy.