Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving to a new computer

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving to a new computer

GLComputing:

I am not opposed to upgrading, but I am worried my data will not be opened by that. I am terrified about losing this data. 

If it doesn't, Support usually will do that when it's for an upgrade.

For a start, the version you have uses a version of MS-SQL that Microsoft won't support on Win7 or later... That creates security issues.

Mike:

I didn't read your comment correctly. Does the new version of ACT work with Windows 7? One other thought. Can't I just copy the database files off the old machine and move them to the new one, without using the backup feature to zip them?

Yes, the current one works with Win7 and later.
It's not simple to copy the database that way. See the KB article I linked above to solve it ... If you're not upgrading

OK. I am working through the steps in that article. I have to get the old one up and running to install WinZip on that (if it isn't there.) Thanks. 

Mike: I got the old computer up and running, installed WINZIp on that, and recreated the backups. I have WINZIP on the new machine as well. Same error. I guess I will have to upgrade. Thanks for your help. Are there different versions of ACT out there now? I use at one one, stand alone machine.

THAT WON'T WORK! Trying to zip the files without stopping the SQL server will have the same problem as the copy. Use the backup in the ACT! program to create a backup file that cab be moved to the new computer. Then do a Restore As in ACT! on the new computer
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That is what I did. There was an article provided in a discussion on this that said WINZIP needs to be installed on both machines. I didn't use it to zip, I just installed it.