Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving from Peer to Peer network to 2003 server

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Moving from Peer to Peer network to 2003 server

Act 11.0 - Currently the database resides on a workstation running Act and using XP Pro. The database is shared on a peer to peer network with 6 users.

I want to move the database to a Windows 2003 server. I installed Act on the server, I have not moved the database yet.

In order for the outside sales guys to synch, Act has to be running on the server which means someone needs to be logged into Act for this to happen. Because no one will be using the server as a workstation, have I just used up one of my licenses for the privilege of having my database on the network?  

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author richardhuck
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Moving from Peer to Peer network to 2003 server

Be sure to check out the info at help.act.com regarding moving your database before you do it.

As far as taking up a license so as to keep the program open on the server to support sync, no you do not.  Just login with one of the existing users.  A user can be logged in in more than one place at the same time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author richardhuck
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Be sure to check out the info at help.act.com regarding moving your database before you do it.

As far as taking up a license so as to keep the program open on the server to support sync, no you do not.  Just login with one of the existing users.  A user can be logged in in more than one place at the same time.

Platinum Elite Contributor

As Scott said, you can log into ACT! on the server as one of the existing users.  However, you need to check, if you have the premium version of the ACT! program you would install the sync server on the server machine and attach your database to the sync server and then the ACT! program would not need to be open
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129