Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving database to new computer

Moving database to new computer

[ Edited ]

I am in the process of removing all my files from one computer (about ready to die) to another. I saved my ACT files onto an external drive. I haven't completed a back-up very recently. I'm trying to import the ADF file onto the new machine. First it doesn't let me select the adf files - it rather attaches the pad files. And then it tells me - error in the app.

Can you please tell me which files include my contact list info? and how to import them onto the new machine.

thanks for your help.

<Edited title after moving reply to own thread.>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 04-07-2009 08:57 AM

Re: Moving database to new computer

Ruth, try following the steps below.
  1. Copy the ADF, ALF, and database files folder to the new computer.
  2. Launch ACT! and click Open Database.
  3. Click the ACT! Database (*.ADF) option from the Files of type drop-down, browse to your database, click to select, and then click Open

I was able to load the adf file and my contacts are now back in act, however, the layout is missing and or failing to load. Will you give instruction to load it, please?
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi sonseeker,

You'll also need to copy the database files folder from your old location to the new one, where the .ADF file is. This should contain the layouts folder.

The recommended method of moving a database, is to perform a backup. All the layout files and any other supplemental files will also be included when restoring your database. The following Knowledgebase article explains the process: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19818

thank you for the reply. 

So far I am still unable to see a detail view. 

I get an error msg: " an error occurred while trying to write a default layout to the supplemental file system"  

Administrator

[ Edited ]

If you have the ability to go back to the original machine and take a full backup from within Act, I would recommend doing this. Here's a Knowledgebase article detailing the process: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19211

If you no longer have access to the original machine, then check you have full permissions in your new database files folder to try and fix the above error. Right-click the folder > Properties > Security tab.

thank you for your assistance, all is good now!!