Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving contact records between companies - keeping the history and all records with the contact

Moving contact records between companies - keeping the history and all records with the contact

[ Edited ]

Hi, we sell B2B.  As people leave companies and roles change, I'd like to leave a history of the record with a contact in the old company somehow but also want to move the contact to his/her new role and company with the history.  Is this possible?  I don't want to be creating duplicate contact records for the one person ie with an X in front of it as was suggested in a 2008 thread.  I'd really like to keep the db clean.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks TrueFocus.

Should have said also:  we run a pc based version of ACT which is Act! Pro Version 19.2.146.0, Update 4 on Windows 10.

Employee

Re: Moving contact records between companies - keeping the history and all records with the contact

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Maybe one of the Act! data management Addons could help.

https://actaddonshop.com/brand/Categories/data-management-repair

OAK!Merge and Advanced CopyFields Wizard might have an option.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Moving contact records between companies - keeping the history and all records with the contact

Are you using the Companies module? 

If so, when you create a history, it associates it to both the Contact and the Company record.  If you ever deleted the Contact, it would stay under the Company record history tab (but just have a blank for the contact name).  

Similarly, if you want to keep the contact in your database when they change companies (and not create a new duplicate of them), you would re-associate them to the new Company record.  Then going forward, histories would link to the new Company, but the old existing histories will still be seen on the old Company record.

If you aren't using companies, it's best to clean up the company names entered in contacts to be consistent for all contacts at the same company (Ford Motors, Ford Motor Co, Ford should be same).  When you're done, you can turn on company auto-create. In tools > preferences.

-----------
Kelly Solomon
AspenTech CRM
Act! Certified Consultants & Premier Trainers
Swiftpage Business Partner - Platinum Level
866-880-4ACT (4228)
www.aspen-tech.com
Silver Contributor

This is an old chestnut and here is my take on it when training -

We like to think we do business with people but it is normally the job junction of that person that determines who we work with.

If we link an existing persons contact record to thier new company it will contain irrelevant notes and history about their old company.

SO -

I recommend we keep the old record with TBA in the contact name until the new person takes up that position. Now assign that record to the new person with a clear indication of the previous contact and date they left. Now all interaction with that position with the company is in one place.

With the new company create a new record but again have a clear indication of where they worked before in case you want to refer back to the old record.

If no one replaces the old person then after a given time delete that record as mentioned before all notes and history should have been retained at the linked company level record.

Hi Kelly, thanks for your response.  I don't know whether we're using the "companies module".  We are creating companies - which is the customer - and then linking companies to contacts so I think your point about the histories is a good one.  I'll do some tests and see how that works.  Regards, Karen.

Thanks Carl for the suggestion. I think I may have sorted this with Kelly's input but if not, I'll look at this add on. Regards, Karen.

Hi Ch1p, thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Unfortunately, in our client base, roles and responsibilities change frequently so connecting notes to a role won't work for us. I think Kelly's point about the history and linking it to the company might work but I'll do some tests and see how that goes.