Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving an old database

JDM

Moving an old database

I have Act2000 on an old computer and just installed Act2011 on a new computer.  Can I move my contacts from my old computer using Act2000 to my new computer using Act2011?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Moving an old database

Good morning.

The easiest way to move your ACT database is to creaste a backup using the ACT Backup program.

On the new computer install ACT2011 and then select the "Restore As" function.  After the database unpacks you may get a message that says that ACT needs to upgrade the database. 

Hope this is helpful.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

JDM

Thank you very much for the answer.  I went through all the steps and downloaded the back up file from the recently installed Act 2006 on my old computer onto the desk top of my new computer but I can't get the new Act 2011 to open it.

I also have a new problem, while doing all this I tried to open the act on my old computer after the back up.  But tried to open it under a different user name.  Doing that stopped the start screen from remembering my password.  I had the "remember my password" box clicked for many years so I now have no memory of my password.

Is my database now lost forever?

Bronze Contributor

Thanks Mike.  I didn't give consideration to the age of the database. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

ACT! 2006 or ACT! 6.0?
It is important to get the versions correct

If you don't know the Admin password (and can't figure it out), you'll need to have it cracked to convert.

Most ACCs can do this ... or I can if you can't find a local ACC
JDM

Thank you both very much for your help!

I finally got the database on my new computer.

One minor problem that you may want to mention to future questioners.  When I installed Act 6.0 to my old computer to clean up my database before transfer, I over wrote my old Act 2000.  Not a big deal but if someone wanted to keep their old version of Act then 6.0 should be installed next to and not over the old version.

Thanks again and hope you both have a great 2013.