Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving Database to another computer

Moving Database to another computer

I have recently installed ACT 2008 on my Vista machine.  I have a database that I would like to install on my machine from a co worker.  He has sent the files to me and I have placed them in the Database directory.  The files consist of the the ADF, ALF, DBF and the PAD file.  When attempting to open the database, I get the message "The database cannot be accessed.  I have shut down my fire wall and virus protection to no avail.  This has always been a stand-alone database on a stand alone PC.  We are hust trying to move a duplicate copy to another machine. 

I am able to open the demo database on this suspect machine so I assume the application is installed and running OK.  Any assistance would be great.  thanks.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Moving Database to another computer

By the description you have not also copied the database-files folder for the apecified database which also sits in the same folder as the original database.
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving Database to another computer

The correct way to move a database is by Backup/Restore as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6pf78g