Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving Database from workstation to centralized sql server

Copper Contributor

Moving Database from workstation to centralized sql server

[ Edited ]

I installed Sage Act 2013.  I am moving the database from a workstation to a centralized sql server.  I did a backup from within Sage and am doing the restore on a windows server 2008 r2 box running sql server 2008. 

I get the following error:

"The database was backed up on a server running version 10.50.2500.  That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version 10.00.5500."

Can someone provide me some information as to what needs to be done next?  I can't upgrade my database server.  Any ideas on how to backup and restore another way?  I tried creating a new database on my sql server and pointing sage to it, but that doesn't work either.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving Database from workstation to centralized sql server

[ Edited ]

Hello tcrogers,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Judging from the version numbers, it appears your server is using SQL Server 2008 - ACT! 2013 uses SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1. You cannot manage a SQL database or backup file that was created in a higher version of SQL. To resolve you will need to upgrade the version of SQL on your server to the R2 version. If you are going to run ACT! 2013 on that server, you will need the R2 version, as that is the version of SQL Server it uses.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I didn't explain the whole situation.  I should have asked the question differently.  I realize why I got the error and that I need to upgrade, but we have lots of other databases on that server, so it's not as easy as just upgrading.  Plus, if we do upgrade, I have nothing that says having a seperate database from the application server is supported; therefore, we'd be spending a lot more time on it than is necessary if having them separate is not supported anyway.  So, that is really the question here.  I do want to be able to connect to our sql server 2008, but I suppose what I really need to know is if that would even work. 

We messaged the chat people from Sage's website, and they said we could run them separately.  So, we just assumed it would work.  I've called in and they say they can't help me because we haven't actually purchased it yet.  I've messaged the chat people again and they are now saying they can't help either.  How do we know we want to purchase the software, if we can't ge the trial to work the way we would like in our environment?  How do we get someone who can answer our questions? 

on Sage's site, the database server requirements says this...

Sage ACT! uses SQL Server® 2008 R2. If you would like to use a different edition of SQL Server other than the one provided, please consult Microsoft documentation for specific requirements for that edition.

So, it doesn't really say that I can use my centralized sql server or not, and it also doesn't really say if I can use my sql sever 2008 either.  I hope this is all making sense.  Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Super Contributor

In order to run ACT! 2013 on a server and host the database on the server the server must be running SQL 2008 R2 which is different than SQL 2008.  That is the issue that you ran into.  You can run SQL 2008 and SQL 2008 R2 side by side but there are some things that you need (or your IT people will need) to take into consideration.  Here is a link that goes into more detail about what happens when you install SQL 2008 R2 on a system running an earlier version of SQL.  Basically some of the shared components are upgraded.  This wouldn't ordinarily cause any problems but there may be some cases where it does cause a problem.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210714%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

I would recommend that you tell your IT people that you will need to run SQL 2008 R2 on the server to install ACT! 2013 and ask them if they think any of the things mentioned in the article might be a problem.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

I am in IT.  Is there a technical forum's page?  I know the difference between sql 2008 r2 and 2008.  I have contacted our local representative from Sage, and customer service, but I'm not getting a response except that they can't help me.  I appreciate the link to the article and your time in replying to my post, but it doesn't help answer my question. 

Silver Super Contributor

You can't restore an ACT! 2013 database on a system that doesn't have an instance of ACT7 running under SQL 2008 R2.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Yes, I understand that.  So, does that mean you can (given you have sql server r2 running) move a database from a workstation to a centralized sql server, restore that database and connect the clients to it?  Meaning, the application and database are on two seperate servers. 

If that is so, can you run a later version of Sage Act and use that database with a 2008 (non R2) database?  If that is so, we could get this up and running for our customer, and then upgrade later when we're ready to upgrade the database.

Silver Super Contributor

Yes you can run the application on one server and have the database on another server.  It is simpler to set up if you install ACT! on the server hosting the database but it isn't required.  I have a client with a terminal server that the users connect to on one system and the ACT! database on another server for example.

You cannot use any earlier version of SQL than SQL 2008 R2 to run an ACT! database if the version of ACT! that you are going to use to access the database is ACT! 2013.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

I appreciate your answer.  That is what I was looking for!  Thank you.