Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving DB and PAD file contents

Moving DB and PAD file contents

This is in ACT! 9.0:

I moved an existing ACT! database (all three files plus the support folder) from a user's laptop to a file server, then took a copy of that to make modifications on my development machine, then moved the modified copy back to file server, where it is meant to stay. It's only after trying to open it that I ran in to the PAD file content problem. (I"m fairly new to ACT! and so had to learn about this on the fly.) That is, the client can't open the file server copy successfully -- it always opens its local copy, even when I change the HOST and LOCATION values in the PAD file.

What should the HOST and LOCATION values be in a PAD file when the database and all its support files resides on a file server that DOES NOT have the ACT! application on it itself? Some knowledge base articles suggest deleting the PAD file then opening the db via the ADF file from the host server in order to create the proper PAD automatically, but that strategy assumes that the host file server is running ACT!, which this one isn't.

Thanks for any guidance. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving DB and PAD file contents

Pretty straightforward. I'll give it a shot. 

Thanks. 

Platinum Elite Contributor