Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving Act Database onto local file server

Moving Act Database onto local file server

Hi,

I'm trying to put the act database files onto our local file server which has a RAID hard disk arrangement so 1-2 users can access it from thier locally installed ACT8 apps.

I'm trying (and failing) to modify the .PAD file to point to the new location so they can load the database across our 100M network :

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="COMPANY" host="SERVER1" location="sales_marketing\ACT-Database\COMPANY.ADF" type="Sql" />

I have also tried using the server's IP address instead of SERVER1 as the host but it makes no difference as whenever I try and open the PAD file the system complains that it cannot find the files ("the database COMPANY could not be accessed.....")

Everything is located from this poit onwards on the server

\\server1\sales_marketing\ACT-Database

What am I doing wrong?

Andrew. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving Act Database onto local file server

Have you installed the ACT! program on the server? Your post makes it sound like you have not and you need to do that.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately life is not that simple! 

We have a Redhat Linux Server running Samba which is acting as a windows domain controller, File server and provides RAID reduncdancy 

I would like to put the database files on the server so at least our sales guy can use it safe in the knowledge that it's backed up.

I can't get the system to locate the file on the server though Smiley Sad 

Platinum Elite Contributor

You won't be able to do that. The ACT! program must be installed on the server and the server must be have Windows OS. The ACT! database runs on the MSSQL server and that must be installed on a Windows OS. If you have less than 10 ACT! users, you should consider linking a Windows box running XP or Vista to your main server and install the ACT! program there along with the ACT! database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hmm...OK, you've convinced me. Bit of a pain as I now have to build and maintain a box just for act Smiley Sad 

Ho Hum.