Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving Act Database back and forth between laptop and desktop

Copper Contributor

Moving Act Database back and forth between laptop and desktop

I am using Act 2013, Version 15.1.108.0, I use a local database on my Windows 7 Professional computer.  I have been using the software for about 3 weeks, so far so good.  I now want to know how to move my database back and forth between my laptop and my desktop. Most of the time I work on my desktop, but about once a month I go out on the road and will want the data to be copied to my laptop.  When I come home, data copied back to my desktop again with all my work from when I was out on the road.  I am confused because I am not sure if I should back the data up and restore on my laptop (and then back again to my desktop later), or if I should use the move database function?   Based on what I am reading in this forum, I think I am supposed to use the backup/restore functions to accomplish what I have stated?  The move function says it will lock my database until it is moved to another computer?  Not sure what this means, kind of confusing. Help. Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moving Act Database back and forth between laptop and desktop

Actually you need to set up synchronization between the two computers, The backup/restore requires the use of the restore as and requires a new name for the database. The move database intended for moving a databbase to a new computer, not for moving it back and forth between computers.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy, I just read over "synchronization".  As I move through the wizard, I have check off that I DO NOT have network access, yet on the next screen it insists on getting my IP address????  Why is this needed if I am going to ether email the database or copy it onto a portable drive?

Platinum Elite Contributor

With ACT! Pro you would need to do synchronization over a local area network. If you use a router to connect to the internet then setting up a network between your desktop and laptop systems would be fairly simple. That would need to be done before trying to setup synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

A little clarification:

Your question about using the backup/restore or Move Database options: for this situation, I would recommend using the backup/restore option. Noting that the restore will need to use the 'Restore As' option and will create a new database with a new name.

As Roy suggests, synchronization would be the optimal solution. For this to work, there needs to be a network connection (local network or through internet) and since this is Pro, it would require the main database be open at all times to allow the sync to occur.

You mention that a laptop is involved, can it be taken and connected to the network on which the desktop is connected? If yes, you can create the remote database and connect it to the desktop network at regular intervals to synchronize.
Greg Martin
Sage