Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving Act! 2012 DB to new computer, worried about Outlook sync

Copper Contributor

Moving Act! 2012 DB to new computer, worried about Outlook sync

Hi. I am installing a new computer and am going to move my Act! database there. I am worried about it messing up the Outlook sync for calendar and contacts when I do so. I believe that Act keeps track of what has been synchronized and if I fire it up on th enew computer it will start duplicating stuff all over the place. I have the sync set up so calendar goes one way from Outlook to Act and contacts go the other way. Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Moving Act! 2012 DB to new computer, worried about Outlook sync

Certainly the chance of duplication can occur in this situation. But it will depend upon how you intend to set up the Outlook profile on the new computer. 

If you use a new Outlook profile, there would be no information within it to duplicate.  Especially for contacts which you state are being synced from ACT! to Outlook.

If moving the Outlook PST to the new computer, to reduce the duplicated items to a minimum/none, you could change the current sync settings to the minimums and synchronize to remove the data from each other.  For the calendar, reduce the time frame to the lowest possible setting.  For contacts, create a new sync set that will only contain 1 contact (ex: your record) > select only the new sync set.  When you sync it will remove all of the data that is outside of the new sync settings.  At this point you would move the database and PST to the new machine. 

And always make backups of your database and Outlook profile before making mass changes.

Greg Martin
Sage