Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT2011 Databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Moving ACT2011 Databases

I have 5 licenses and 2 databases (A and B). I have 4 users total. All 4 need access to database A and 2 of them also need access to database B. I have an old network drive with act files everywhere. Some users have the supplemental files on their workstaiton. I am getting very confused as to why one user can connect and why another user cannot and how to efficently organize the layout to be accessed from a central location (shared network drive).

I am trying to move all databases and supplemental files to the shared network drive so all of my licensed users can access the 2 databases. 

How can I go about cleaning this up. Every time I try to move files I get a message saying they are either locked or cannot be found.

PLEASE HELP!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ECVCACT
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Moving ACT2011 Databases

Hello ECVCACT,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

It is recommended that you use the backup/restore process to move a database (unless you have remotes synchronizing).  Using the Restore As option will allow you to give the databases new names - which can help lessen the confusion and possible use of the wrong copy of the database. 

Here are articles to help with this process:

Backup and Restore: KB Article 19211

Move and retain synchronization: KB Article 19817

Note: The 'Locked' message is due to Microsoft SQL 'locking' the files.  That is normal when attempting to copy the files manually.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ECVCACT
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Moving ACT2011 Databases

Hello ECVCACT,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

It is recommended that you use the backup/restore process to move a database (unless you have remotes synchronizing).  Using the Restore As option will allow you to give the databases new names - which can help lessen the confusion and possible use of the wrong copy of the database. 

Here are articles to help with this process:

Backup and Restore: KB Article 19211

Move and retain synchronization: KB Article 19817

Note: The 'Locked' message is due to Microsoft SQL 'locking' the files.  That is normal when attempting to copy the files manually.

Greg Martin
Sage