Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT from Win 7 Pro server to Win 2012 Essentials

Moving ACT from Win 7 Pro server to Win 2012 Essentials

I took over the I.T. role of a company about 5 months ago and we've been migrating all hardware and software to new equipment from 2003-2005 technology.

On Friday I installed their new server and I've been migrating data, software, etc... over to the new server.

Everything has been moved over except the Act database/files.

Because I'm remotely logging in, I tried downloading the 600-700mb Sage Act 2011 Pro .exe but the server and all machines in the environment prevent me from downloading it. It just cancels out and disappears.

Reading information online it seems I need to install Act on the new server and perform a restore of the database after backing it up on the old server. I can't get to this point.

Is there another method for migrating from server to server??

Nickel Contributor

Re: Moving ACT from Win 7 Pro server to Win 2012 Essentials

[ Edited ]

It will probably be the "IE Enhanced Security" blocking the download  so try turning that off and also add the website you are using to the trusted sites in Internet explorer.

This is  guide on switching off IE Enhanced Security Link

You could try installing another browser and download it via that.

You are correct, once installed on the new server backup the database on the old one and then copy the zip file to the new server and then do as Restore As.

Chris

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Moving ACT from Win 7 Pro server to Win 2012 Essentials

Just download a Act 2011 Pro here - http://www.act.com/download/pro2011/and install it on the new server. Be sure to copy the license key from the old server.

As mentioned before, it is best to back up the database from insided of ACT on the old server, move the zip file to the new server, then do a restore as...

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com