Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT! database off a PC to SQL server

Moving ACT! database off a PC to SQL server

Hi All, 

This is my first post here having taken over the IT of a small training company.

We are using ACT! here successfully, it is installed on one PC and accessed by 4 others (5 user license). We have a couple of NAS boxes around but of course we cannot install ACT! on them - neither of them support iSCSI.

So, I would like to move the database to the server room (rather than under someone's desk!) and install it on a PC - running SQL express? Would that work? Would I have to install SQL Server express on a PC running WIN7 or Server 2008 or above? Apologies, my knowledge of versiions etc is a little rusty!

Any clues to this!?!?!?

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Moving ACT! database off a PC to SQL server

Hi Steve,

You'll need to install ACT! on the "server" which will install SQL Express (unless you tell it not to during the setup) and it'll be good to go.  Any machine that matches the system requirements is fine (2GB+ RAM wouldn't hurt though, nor would a 7200 RPM drive or better) and four users should be OK on a non-server OS.

While I think it's technically possible to get ACT! using SQL on a machine where ACT! isn't installed, it's a major pain, and then you don't have any of the utlities like ACTDiag or the ACT! Scheduler (for maintenance and backup), so I'd just install ACT! and let that install SQL for you.

Cheers,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Bronze Super Contributor

Steve, what Len said Smiley Happy

Works for me, Guys!

Thanks Smiley Happy