Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving ACT 8 database from XP to 2003 SBS system. MANY problems

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Moving ACT 8 database from XP to 2003 SBS system. MANY problems

Howdy all,

I've taken over support for a small network and one of my tasks is moving a database from a workstation to a SBS 2003 server. It's the 5 user workgroup of ACT 8. I spent about 3 hours stopping at the point of getting a "companion file missing error" when trying to load the database from a workstation. That error verbage might not be exact, I'm not in the office at the moment and don't remember the exact wording.

I backed up the database on the current workstation it is working on then restored it on the install on the 2003 server using the "restore as" option. Locally the database opens and works but when I try to "share the database" the check mark for the share setting does not stick. I ran through the steps I found through this forum to get that setting to stick, removing all multiple instances of shares for the database. I even created a brand new directory not contained within any other share directories and restored the database again under another name to that directory and created a new share. There were a TON of shares on the system from someone in the office attempting to get it to work, all clear now.  To make sure are services restarted I rebooted the server. FYI the 2003 server is not operating as a domain, the workstations do not log in, they only access shares as guests with full access.

At this point there has got to be something with the 2003 environment that is causing the companion files not to load across the network. I checked each of the sub directories where they are located and have access to read and write to those locations from a workstation. The PAD file shows the correct local path. Permissions to the share seem to be fine.

I've hit a brick wall, any suggestions?

Thanks,

~P

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Moving ACT 8 database from XP to 2003 SBS system. MANY problems

Nothing like inheriting a server you didn't stand up eh?

So here is the short of it. After going in circles with testing I noticed that I was unable to connect to shares on workstations from the server. Long story short, group policy permissions were wacky. This link below help me fix that issue

http://www.winvistatips.com/re-cannot-access-workstation-server-shares-sbs-2003-server-t614924.html

Once I rebooted the server I was able to get the share database check to stick. 15 minutes later database is moved and running on the server.

Thanks for the input!

~P

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Patkkim,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

A couple of tests you can run to help isolate the issue:

- Create a new database and test setting the Share option.

- Using Backup/Restore > Restore As - restore your main database to a different location (ex: C:\ActDB\****database****) - test the Share option in this new location.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thanks for the reply, I'm on site today and will try a new database. I did previous try locating the restore as to a new location and share will no luck getting the share feature check to stick.

~P

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Nothing like inheriting a server you didn't stand up eh?

So here is the short of it. After going in circles with testing I noticed that I was unable to connect to shares on workstations from the server. Long story short, group policy permissions were wacky. This link below help me fix that issue

http://www.winvistatips.com/re-cannot-access-workstation-server-shares-sbs-2003-server-t614924.html

Once I rebooted the server I was able to get the share database check to stick. 15 minutes later database is moved and running on the server.

Thanks for the input!

~P