Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

So I am trying to move my remote database from one Win7 computer to a new Win7 computer. I used "Backup" and "Restore As" functions to move the database to the new computer. I tried to set up the sync panel on the new computer because I saved my database in a different location than the default location, but it doesn't even list the database when I view "manage databases". Upon further research, it appears as if all of the Sync Panel settings that are grayed out relate to a publisher database instead of a remote database. When searching the support site it appears that there is a knowledge base artilcle that indicates that I shouldn't have moved my database the way that I did (backup and restore) if I have a remote db and want to sync.

Oh and when I tried to use the other option "Unpack and restore remote database" within the REstore options, it never can find an .rdb file. Soooo, how do I create the .rdb file? Do I need to sync my old database with the publisher and get her to send me that? 

I have already modified some records in the new database, so I would like to preserve what I have done if it is possible. But if I have to start over by moving the original remote database again, I will. I just need to know how the heck to do it so that the new computer is set up correctly as a remote database and I can sync with the main database.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Contributor

Re: Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

Here is an article that should help.  

How To Retain Synchronization When the Publisher and/or Subscriber Database is Moved to a Different ...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

Thanks very much for your quick response. I did see that article but wondered if it was still applicable since it was from 2006. I will give it a shot. Thanks again.

Silver Contributor

principles should be the same.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider