Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

So I am trying to move my remote database from one Win7 computer to a new Win7 computer. I used "Backup" and "Restore As" functions to move the database to the new computer. I tried to set up the sync panel on the new computer because I saved my database in a different location than the default location, but it doesn't even list the database when I view "manage databases". Upon further research, it appears as if all of the Sync Panel settings that are grayed out relate to a publisher database instead of a remote database. When searching the support site it appears that there is a knowledge base artilcle that indicates that I shouldn't have moved my database the way that I did (backup and restore) if I have a remote db and want to sync.

Oh and when I tried to use the other option "Unpack and restore remote database" within the REstore options, it never can find an .rdb file. Soooo, how do I create the .rdb file? Do I need to sync my old database with the publisher and get her to send me that? 

I have already modified some records in the new database, so I would like to preserve what I have done if it is possible. But if I have to start over by moving the original remote database again, I will. I just need to know how the heck to do it so that the new computer is set up correctly as a remote database and I can sync with the main database.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Contributor

Re: Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

Here is an article that should help.  

How To Retain Synchronization When the Publisher and/or Subscriber Database is Moved to a Different ...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Moved remote database to new computer- Sync Panel seems to not recognize it as remote database

Thanks very much for your quick response. I did see that article but wondered if it was still applicable since it was from 2006. I will give it a shot. Thanks again.

Silver Contributor

principles should be the same.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Highlighted

I can't figure how to start a new thread but I have the same issue

Act Premium16.1.207.0

Moved from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Databases not designated fro synchronization, open

The one database which synchronizes has the following errors (1)  'error occurred after logon in synchronization manager.  The path is not a legal form'        (2)  An error occurred while trying to write default layout to the supplemental file system'   All of my layouts transferred

I copied the database files as well as the ADF and ALF files.  I did not restore from a backup