Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moved DB and can not access it

Moved DB and can not access it

I had to move ACT 9.0 to my desktop from the laptop that was dying.  Now all is there, but when I try to open it I get the following message:

The database financialfocus could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server. 

The database resides on the desktop and the firewall has been shutdown.

Any suggestions? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Moved DB and can not access it

I suspect that when you moved your database files, that you also included the .PAD file for the database. This file becomes invalid when moving the database as it contains specific location information. Follow these steps

- Browse to the location of your database and delete the associated .PAD file (i.e., MyDatabase.pad)

- Open ACT! and go to File/Open Database

- On the Open screen, change the "Files of type" from .PAD to .ADF

- Browse to the location of your database and open it with the associated .ADF file (MyDatabase.ADF)

If this does not resolve, then please see KB 19640 for additional solutions for this error.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tried that and it did not wor.  Also used the link provided and nothing appears to be associated.  Now getting the following message.

..... databasename.ADF is not a primary database file. 

This is what I receive after I deleted the .PAD and tried to restart the DB using the .ADF.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unfortunately, if you get that error message when trying to open your .ADF file, it usually means that the database is damaged beyond repair. You will most likely need to restore a backup.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.