Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move a group of contacts to a new company.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Move a group of contacts to a new company.

I have just created a new company, and selected a group of contacts which I have successfully linked to that company. However, when I go to any of those contacts, the new Company does not appear in their Company field. Obviously I can select the new Company for each one individually in the Contact detail record, but is there any way that I can force that by selecting all of those contacts in the Company record? (Most of them were not previously attached to a company.)

ACT!9 (2007)

Thanks,

Graham.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Move a group of contacts to a new company.

Hi Graham3,

First of all, I am not a technician, but maybe I can be of some help to you.  I am currently using ACT 2010.

I'm wondering if there is confusion between ADDING a contact to a company and LINKING a contact to a company.  The LINKING is the one that will show the company name in the contact's company field.

I recently did this for a number of contacts in my ACT2010 db.  With a COMPANY already created, I selected the contacts in the list view and then clicked on look up selected.  The this list of contacts I then went to the Contacts on the tool bar and selcted LINK TO A COMPANY.  I then navigated to the company and selected the company. 

ADDING a contact to a company is useful for cross references, but the company name is not changed in the company field.

I hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Hi Graham3,

First of all, I am not a technician, but maybe I can be of some help to you.  I am currently using ACT 2010.

I'm wondering if there is confusion between ADDING a contact to a company and LINKING a contact to a company.  The LINKING is the one that will show the company name in the contact's company field.

I recently did this for a number of contacts in my ACT2010 db.  With a COMPANY already created, I selected the contacts in the list view and then clicked on look up selected.  The this list of contacts I then went to the Contacts on the tool bar and selcted LINK TO A COMPANY.  I then navigated to the company and selected the company. 

ADDING a contact to a company is useful for cross references, but the company name is not changed in the company field.

I hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Elite Contributor

Cool, thanks John, exactly what I needed to know. I did get that all I had done was Add them to the Company, just couldn't figure out how to Link them all in 1 go. Done now!!

Thanks again.

Cheers, Graham