Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move a database to a new pc

FLG
Astute Commentator

Move a database to a new pc

Hello,

I'm trying to move my main database to a new pc.  I tried to backup my main Database and then restore it to a new pc, but it doesn't work! I received this message ' the zip file is not the correct type for this operation' Can anyone please help me?

Thanks you

Etienne

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Move a database to a new pc

FLG, please see my post to Antonis in his posting with subject "Move Database to a new pc" as this may help.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

FLG
Astute Commentator

Hello,

I tried what you suggest to Antonis without succes.  The zip file is not accepted when we tried to Restore As our db from Act 2005 to Act 2006.  We received this message :  "The file "c:/..." is not the correct type for this operation".  We also tried to re-index the db from Act 2005 before attemp a backup but it doesn't work.  In this attempt, we received this message : "You may not have enough disk space to complete this operation.  If a network drive is not mapped, ACT cannot determine if you have enough disk space to complete this operation.  Your database can be damaged if you proceed without adequate disk space" .  Act 2005 is on a Pentium III with 512 mo RAM and a Hard Divre of 20 gb and Act 2006 is on a Pentium IV with 512 mo RAM and a Hard Drive of 80 gb.   

My first question is : How can I zip correctly in order to ACT 2006 accept it ? 
My second question is : Do you know any other way to import the db from ACT 2005 to ACT 2006 ?

Etienne

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi FLG,

One possible work around to this problem could be if you try the following:

1. In windows click the Start Button
  2. Select Run and type the following services.msc
  3. This will show you all the running services on your machine. Locate and stop the MSSQL$ACT7 service
  4. In windows explorer navigate to the location of your ACT! dB and copy the *.PAD, *.ADF, *.ALF files
  5. In Windows Explorer navigate to the new location on the other machine and copy the three files to that location
  6. In ACT! File->Open
  7. In the File Type click on the downward pointing arrow and select *.ADF and then you should see the ACT! dB file
  8. Select it and Open it.

Hopefully that should allow you to 1, open the dB in the new location and remap the PAD file and 2. Upgrade the dB to the newer version.

HTH

Vivek

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
FLG
Astute Commentator

Hi Vivek,

Thank you for this information.  We tried what you suggest without succes.  In the pc with ACT 2005, we could not find the MSSQL$ACT7 service and either the PAD, ADF and ALF files.  However, the db on the old machine (Pentium III with ACT 2005) run well.

FLG
Copper Super Contributor

Wouldn't it be possible to extract the zip archive with WinZip, etc. into the proper folder on the new PC and then convert the database to the new version?
FLG
Astute Commentator

Hello,

We tried without succes and we received this message : ...input string was not in a correct format..

Thanks
FLG
Astute Commentator

Finally, this is how I did it.  I've exported the db in txt file (tab).  Then, clean up it in Excel.  Then, prepare ACT 2006 by creating all the fields.  Then, import the db.  
Copper Contributor

Thanks for following up and letting us know the solution. Smiley Happy
Nickel Elite Contributor

I suspect that the old machine was running ACT! 2000 Version 5. ACT! 2005 was actually version 7 and they used completely different database structures. I think if you had used Winzip to unzip the zip file from the old machine and then tried to open it as an ACT! 5-6 database, it would have converted OK.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com