Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move Remote database to new computer -- Errors

Move Remote database to new computer -- Errors

Act Premium16.1.207.0

Moved from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro (both are 64 bit)

Databases which I have moved which are not designated for synchronization, open with no errors

The one database which synchronizes has the following errors after copying files to the Windows 10 PC

(1)  'error occurred after logon in synchronization manager.  The path is not a legal form'        (2)  An error occurred while trying to write default layout to the supplemental file system'   All of my layouts transferred from the Windows 7 PC.

I copied the database files as well as the ADF and ALF files.  I did not restore from a backup

Other issues may surface once these errors are resolved but I need to understand these errors and fix them first

Thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Move Remote database to new computer -- Errors

At this point you'll need to create new remote database(s) for the new computer.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

ACT V16 also had a defect that can cause this message and they released a patch to fix it. Worth trying this first.

Here is the knowledgebase article with links to the hotfix

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36985/~/error:-error-occurred-after-logon-in-synchronizati...

@ch1p wrote:

ACT V16 also had a defect that can cause this message and they released a patch to fix it. Worth trying this first.

Here is the knowledgebase article with links to the hotfix

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36985/~/error:-error-occurred-after-logon-in-synchronizati...

Thanks for the reply. I received a message that the patch is not for my version.

I have never updated the software since it was in stalled.  Should I install all the Updates and then try to install any Hotfix?

@Roy_Laudenslager wrote:
At this point you'll need to create new remote database(s) for the new computer.

Thanks Roy.  That's my backup plan.  Hoping for a n easier resolution as I'm the administrator.  Big DB of nearly 3Gb and it all synchs to me.

Because sync is two way, remote databases typically be moved. The initial RDB includes path information to the host. When the remote does it's first sync the path to the remote is reported to the host.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

@Roy_Laudenslager wrote:
Because sync is two way, remote databases typically be moved. The initial RDB includes path information to the host. When the remote does it's first sync the path to the remote is reported to the host.

I think I follow you

I deleted all the files  I Moved to the new PC and am reinstalling the copied file, to see if theya re corrupted somehow by copying them from the old PC, where the DB opens with no issues

I the DB opens on the new PC, if I understand you correctly, I need to go tot he Publisher DB and change the name of the PC to which the DB synchronizes, and then run a sync from the new PC?  Is that correct

If I create a new RDB, will I need to change any path information on the Publisher side?

Thanks, Joe

Editing the publisher may work, I've never tried that. Creating a new RDB will take care of the care of the sync linking.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

@Roy_Laudenslager wrote:

Roy

I wiped out the old copied file and pasted the new copied DB, and ADF andALF files.  When attempting to open using the ADF I receive the follsing error message.  Any help on how to resolve is appreciated:  

--------The database XXXXX could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database serve is available.  It my be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server.--------

I did not previously have this error

@Roy_Laudenslager wrote:
Editing the publisher may work, I've never tried that. Creating a new RDB will take care of the care of the sync linking.

I'll give that  a shot rather than having all the error messages and see if it works

Thanks