Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move Database to a new pc

Copper Contributor

Move Database to a new pc

I'm trying to move my main database to a new pc, but the option manage main database location is disabled! Why? I also tried to backup my main Database and then restore it to a new pc, but it also doesn't work! Can anyone please help me?
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Move Database to a new pc

To move your db to a new pc do the following:

1. On the old pc open act and click file -> backup
2. Save the zip file somewhere you can find it
3. Copy the zip file to the new machine
4. On the new machine in act click file -> restore -> database -> restore as (option 2)
5. Browse to the zip file and follow the wizard

Tom
Copper Contributor

I did that and proceed creating a remote db, but when i try to synchronise it i get the msg: "Act is unable to connect ot he synch server. Make sure accept incoming sync is enabled in the main db and that the network sync service is running......" . I have the correct settings for the sync! What's wrong? Do i have to delete the db from the old machine? I don't want to risk loosing the sync option!
Nickel Super Contributor

If you are moving the publisher db to a new machine and perform a restore as you will need to re-create any remote databases.

Tom
Copper Contributor

Exactly, that's what i did! My actions on my previous msg were referring to a new remote db! I also tried both new and old sync set criteria, but still doesn't work!
Nickel Super Contributor

If you have a new remote set up correclty then this message usually means one of two things:

1.  There is a firewall blocking you (more than likely on the server if that is your new machine)
2. Accept incoming syncs isn';t checked on the server db or ACT! is closed when you are trying to sync.

Tom
Copper Contributor

I disables both local and server firewall. The accept incoming sync option is enabled. The setup of the new remote db is correct! The settings on the manage db panel are correct! The sync settings are the same as before (port number, inside a network, firewall, etc.) Any other tips?
Nickel Super Contributor

In the sync pannel on the remote open the manage connection info box.  Copy the host machine name/ip and click Start -> Run and type ping [machine name/ip from previous step] click OK.  Check you get a reply.  If you do click Start -> Run -> cmd -> OK.  at the command propt type telnet [machine name/ip] 65100 , if you can successfully connect to the machine you should just get a black screen.  Let me know the results of these tests

Tom
Copper Contributor

The tests failed, coz the computer name was different than the one of the hosting. I changed it and i finally managed to to sync my db's. Thank you, u r really helpful!
Nickel Super Contributor

No worries glad I could help Smiley Happy

Tom