Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move Act database to a dedicated SQL server

Copper Contributor

Move Act database to a dedicated SQL server

We are looking at purchasing Act.  I want to be able to move the database to our dedicated sql server.  I'd like to share this database to the users.  I can't seem to find how to do this.  I have ACT7 database attached, but I don't see how to get Act to recognize it.  SQL files are ldf and mdf, but when I try to open a database from Act it show I can only open pad, adf, and dbf.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Move Act database to a dedicated SQL server

Hi,

you will need to follow  this instructions,

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Elite Contributor

Backup your database using ACT! (File Menu in ACT!, then choose Backup, then database)

Then restore that database on your new server.  Install ACT!, then go to file menu, restore, then database.

That is the easiest way to move your database.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Copper Contributor

Both entries were helpful.  I appreciate it.  First question, the instruction are for Premium.  Does this still work for Pro?

Next, I have the database setup on my database server.  I went to do the step called "Run SecurityCmdLnApp.exe with the new "SA" password", and I get an error that pops up saying the service has stopped.  I open Act and it doesn't do anything different than open the demo database.  I don't quite understand how to get it to use that database on the remote server.  Also, those install instruction show that you should install sql express.   I don't want sql express on all the workstations, nor do I want them to use a local database.

So, I went to follow the instructions from Hammertime to see if I need to do the restore.  If I open Act and choose restore database, I get three options, restore, restore as, and unpack and restore remote database.  I don't see which option works best.  I don't want to restore from the database server to this workstation.  I just want all the workstations to use the same database that is on our database server.  Can you explain further?

Copper Elite Contributor

to attach the database to a Standard SQL you need the Premium, it is mandatory, the pro is not supporting this feature as i know,

you can disable the SQL express installation while checking the custom Install, but for full email functionality you would not like to do this.

the restore only works, if you created the ACT instance on the SQL, and therefore you need to follow the instructions shown in the KB i did send you upfront. then, after this is done, you can restore any ACT premium Database on the standard SQL.

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

So, in order to do a shared database, we'd have to stand up a server dedicated to Act and install sql express on it, install the database there and then share it?  Then, the workstations can access that shared database from there.  Will that work since we don't intend to use Premium?

Just for some background, I don't want to install a shared database on a workstation.  We use xendesktop, which I'm not sure will work anyway (I have a whole different post on that issue).  From what I believe you are saying, I need a dedicated install of Act somewhere that houses the database with the Act install.  I'm not going to install Act on our dedicated database server, so standing up a new server dedicated to Act is my only way around, correct?

Copper Elite Contributor

ACT! pro with SQL Express is fine.  No need for Premium or SQL Standard.

The ACT! SQL instance is managed via the ACT! program.  It is not recommended to manage it by SQL Management studio. 

The only time you have to go with Premium is if you have more than 10 users.

A dedicated ACT! Pro box will work.

There are other benefits to Premium like added security, better sync, web access etc... that you may want to consider as well.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic