Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Move ACT to another drive

Move ACT to another drive

I have Act! Pro Version 20.1.120.0, Update 8 on my local computer running the latest update of Windows 10.  Mt C drive is a SS drive and is full.  ACT is installed on the C drive.  I simply want to uninstall ACT and reinstall on my D drive.  Does anyone know if I can simply uninstall/reinstall?  Any pitfalls I should watch out for?   Thanks in advance.

Tony C

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Move ACT to another drive

Not really. while some of the files could be located on a different drive, some functions are performed on the system drive. The database files can be located on a separate files but the SQL server that controls the database must be located on the system drive.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi TC,

If you back up your database and then uninstall Act! and anything to do with SQL re-boot your machine then when installing Act! use the custom install instead of the typical one and then you will be able to set where act! and SQL can be installed. As Roy mentioned SQL will install some files on the C Drive mainly the shared applications and files. but most of it will go on the other drive. you can then restore the database onto the other drive as well.

This might help How do I install Act! Pro or Premium v20

Thanks guys.  Trying to get up the nerve to try it.  Seems like every time I change ACT or update windows it causes me a lot of headaches.

Silver Contributor

I would strongly advise not trying to install the ACT program on anything other that the system (C) drive as some parts must be there and you will end up with a mixed installation over 2 drives. It works but no real benefit and seems to confuse updates etc.

Moving just the database is a good idea as it increases space on the C drive and is fairly easy to do.

My preferred method is to stop SQL - Move the database folder to the new drive - Delete the .PAD file - Start SQL and then open ACT by clicking on the .ADF file. This will create a new .pad file and open it on the new drive.

Copper Contributor

Following your suggestion, would it be possible to use on 2 seperate computers by hooking up the D drive to another computer?

Tom David Moxam
Nickel Elite Contributor

NO THAT WON'T WORK!
Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

You would have to create a mini network between the 2 computers. ACT would need to be installed on both PCs 

I have done this a couple of times for people without a server who just wanted to access a single database so it does work.