05-01-2008 07:59 AM
Hi, my first post here....
We use ACT 2008 and Outlook 2003 (with a reasonable level of ACT experience - we starting at v6 and moved gradually upwards). I've been doing a few tests internally before launching a smallish mail merge, and have hit two different problems. To reduce the problems to their bare essentials, I've reduced the mailing list to two internal colleagues. I have not been entirely able to isolate what specific issues causes the problems below, but I've tried to show what I think they might be linked to. If anyone has similar experiences or, better still, knows how I can solve the problems, I'd love to hear.
Problem 1: On opening the received email in Outlook, the recipient first sees the warning message titled Microsoft Internet Explorer and reading "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly." This seems to occur when Word is used to create the template, and when the template contains embedded images, such as a company logo. (I read about Word's Smart Tags option being related to such problems, and have switched off the "save smart tags in email" without noticeable effect.)
Problem 2: The test email causes the recipients' Outlook system to hang, necessitating using the task Manager to kill the application. This seems to occur when using the ACT word processor to create the template, again with embedded logo graphics. A simple plain text email goes through fine.
Obviously my desire is to make sure that sending the email doesn't cause similar disruption to the real recipients. Is this predictable and are these ACT faults, Outlook issues, Microsoft gotchas or plain finger trouble? Thanks for any advice.
05-06-2008 07:48 AM
Hi Narajan, and thanks for the response - I hadn't seen that link before. Two points however:
1) I'm not sure that the headline description of THAT problem matches my own - we see the ActiveX warning message at the test recipient's Outlook system - when he opens the email, - not when we send the mailmerge.
2) But I did try the fixes - which are described as "either/or". Editting the smart tag setting in Word, should have been enough according to this fix - but it didn't change the test results. I can't tackle the second option - changing the security settings as it is prohibtted by company policy.
The second did make me wonder whether ALL recipients would see this warning, or whether we have some odd security settings. Like I sais, I don't want to annoy anyone by sending a email that is difficult to read.