Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Modifying an Outlook Appointment does not Modify same ACT! appointment

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Modifying an Outlook Appointment does not Modify same ACT! appointment

Hello all,

I have looked at every forum topic post on similar issues, but cannot get any resolution. I have tried everything that everyone else has tried to get things to sync properly, but to no avail.

All I am trying to do is test a change in an Outlook appointment that was originated in ACT! and successfully sync'd over to Outlook.  I tried to change the scheduled date/time in Outlook of that very same appointment, but it won't change in ACT!

I bought a sync product for Droid that syncs with Outlook.  Shouldn't it sync back to ACT! after the event has been changed in Outlook?  If the answer is no, why not? If the answer is yes, how come it doesn't work?

Sometimes it says "unable to log on to Sage! ACT! database. Do you want to configure Outlook address book?  Say what?  It already IS configured.  What is going on here?

I have Outlook 2003

ACT! 2012 Premium

The Droid software really doesn't matter.

Oh, and by the way.  It did work before.  All of a sudden, it does not. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Pat

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Modifying an Outlook Appointment does not Modify same ACT! appointment

"Shouldn't it sync back to ACT! after the event has been changed in Outlook?" ... no, because it typically generates a new ItemID in Outlook, so ACT! can't tell it's the same activity. It doesn't always... which is a mystery of the link between Outlook and the products it syncs with
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK.  Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't make sense.

So then how does a tablet or cell phone keep sync with ACT! then?  I would assume that if one were to complete/delete/change a calendar event of an activity in their cell phone/tablet, then it would not change it in ACT!? I find this hard to swallow.

How does your software sync with ACT! then?  How does Companionlink sync with ACT! and keep both sides sync'd? How does Blackberry's BES servers, Good, Mobile Iron keep sync with Outlook and it's own device if it couldn't understand which you call a "mystery"?  It would be totally stupid to wait until the end of the day to get to an ACT! database to update everything from ACT! to Outlook.  It would be totally stupid to create an activity on a cell phone calendar and then have to manually repeat this action in ACT!. it would be pointless to ever change anything in the mobile device because it would not modify it in ACT!

BTW,. I know a lot of people who sometimes sit down on their desktops/laptops and modify their activities in Outlook and it changes it in their device through BES, Good, Mobile Iron. I work in the industry.   BES servers, Good, Mobile Iron get their data from Outlook.  How do these companies resolve an activity that was changed in their device which then goes through BES, Mobile Iron, Good and then make it to the device in perfect harmoney If Outlook changes its ID. Plenty of people sit down with Outlook because they just so happen to be working at their desktops. Are they short changed or told they cannot modify a calendar event because theie cell phone wont see the change? 

So what ACT! is telling us as users is:  We cannot help you when it comes to your mobile device.  If you need to change an important meeting in your device, tough, you have to manually change it when you get to ACT!'s database AGAIN?

I am so disgusted with ACT! it's not even funny. If it's not one thing with this software, it's another. If what you're saying is true, why would anyone buy this junk software?

Sorry. I am just venting.

So no bi-directional syncing is allowed from a multi-national corporation that provides contact management?  Do they not have the technology to do it?  Somehow I find this hard to believe.

Tablets and Cell phones use the same field structure and the sync is pushed/pulled to maintain the connection.... ACT! uses a different field structure, so needs to determine which ID in Outlook matches which ID in ACT! as it can't reply on any specific data to use to match the records.

ACT! actually has a warning only to sync ONE other system with the ACT! calendar

Not sure what you mean by my software ... but, if you mean Handheld Contact, it does this by not going via Outlook. It maintains the links between activities and contacts (or multiple links)... this is why I only use it for bi-directional syncing

CompanionLink can (and does) cause duplications as has been posted by many users to these forums.

Blackberry's BES maintains a full connection to Exchange to monitor the changes.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a pity!  Pretty sad ACT! cannot come up with a way to see which activity between ACT! and Outlook was last modified with the most recent time stamp and overwrite the other database.

Sounds simple to me but then again, it's Sage.

Would love to see from their top programmer what you're talking about.  Maybe encourage him to find another line of work.

Then again, I love self inflicted pain and wasting time.  I love not having things work to the best of my ability. I love doing things half way.  Makes me feel good I have to depend on something that gives me more to worry about.

If you have 50 activities ... the problem is working out WHICH of those activities is that one you want to compare the time-stamp of

For what it's worth ... quite a few other CRM products have a similar issue. Going to Outlook isn't the problem ... unless Outlook then goes to Exchange, Google or a phone
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to tell me it cannot compare the subject and/or body fields in Outlook's calendar Database tables to ACT's?  They are text fields after all.  SO no script in the world can be made to send a request to Outlook's calendar and make a request for the subject line data and/or body of data and compare it to what ACT! just requested?  Seriously?

Something tells me ACT! has got it's greedy hands with these addon resellers and making much more money making half quality software and letting addon companies fill in the holes.  That way, you got software half as good as it should be.  Sage is like one of those marathon runner who starts preparing for a race a week before and quits part of the way through the race.

I guess I am going to have to try CompanionLink (no matter how much I don't like them) then even though they can cause duplicates.  What choice do I have?  The one you use is a total price ripoff.  That's my opinion.

I can be blunt. Sorry.  ACT!/Sage don't impress me at all.  I am just stuck with their software for now.  Grateful, but totally disappointed in the product. I am not the only one.

Subject and body fields in activities regularly get changed ... this would be a really bad way to attempt this

Sage competes with the addon manufacturers... so I don't think your argument works

HHC at US$179 isn't that bad ... you get one duplicate issue, you'd spend a lot more than that in your own time to try and clean it