Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Modify Notes/History Report to have totals?

Modify Notes/History Report to have totals?

I would like to put a "Total Histories: " and "Total Notes: " field in the foot of the Notes/History report. I don't see how to add summary fields. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Modify Notes/History Report to have totals?

There isn't any direct way to get those totals. It could only be done using VB scripting in the report and the scripting would be fairly complex.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the super fast reply Roy!

That's unfortunate. I can imagine that this would be something useful to the majority of ACT! users interested in developing customized reports. I hope ACT considers improving this aspect of their reporting capabilities in future releases.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The capability is there and I have done several reports that include special global totals. In actual fact creating any report template amounts to writing a program to extract data from the database and format it for the screen or printing. The fact that the ACT! reports allows using VB scripts to extend the capabilities of the basic report editor makes the ACT! reports very powerful. You might also want to take a look at the History Summary Classic report.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'll take a look at the scripting for that classic report to get some ideas. I currently use the API to build the reports in an external application. It works well but is very slow because for some reason you can't query the histories directly - you have to go through the contacts. So, for example, if I'm Joe Smith and I want to get all of my histories for the past week I have to query all 17,000 contacts in our database and query their individual histories looking for ones that belong to Joe Smith. This takes about 30 minutes. It would be SUPER great if I could just call the "GetHistories" method and pass in "Joe Smith" as the owner. If I could accomplish that then I wouldn't have to worry about scripting the totals field within ACT!.

Anyway, got off on a tanget there. Thanks for your help.