Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Modem recommendations for ACT on windows 7 x64

Modem recommendations for ACT on windows 7 x64

I have SAGE ACT (version 11) and am looking to use it to dial customers with a modem and headset. I have read that with ACT you need a compliant TAPI modem. Obviously I also need it to be fully voice compliant with full duplex audio. I am having real problems finding a suitable modem (ideally internal) for use with windows 7 64 bit. It seems manufacturers stopped making decent modems in the days of XP. Can anyone recommend any decent models that will work under windows 7 64 bit? I don’t mind if they are older models as long as I can get the 64 bit drivers for windows 7. Any advice would be appreciated as I have spent a long time searching with no result.

Thanks Helen

CEM
Copper Contributor

Re: Modem recommendations for ACT on windows 7 x64

Helen, After HOURS of trying to use an internal model with ACT!, finally bought a Prolific USB-to-serial cable and connected a TRendnet external TFM- 560x modem. Works perfectly. Was using an internal modem (generic) but the functions were really limited...needed more that just dial numbers. Hope this helps you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Modem recommendations for ACT on windows 7 x64

To just dial out, most modems that support TAPI will work - check that it supports Win7 x64 as not all do.

It's more tricky if you want incoming CallerID (which needs an add-on like itDial). Most internal modems are WinModems or Softmodems and they don't support this... I usually recommend USR Robotics

There is a little file at the bottom of this page called Phone.zip
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/56/1
You can extract the exe file and run it (doesn't need to be installed) and you can try dialling out or receiving a call and see what TAPI functions the modem handles.

Because it don't need to be installed, it can be put on a USB mem stick, taken to a modem reseller and used to check before buying