Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Missing data file and backups

Missing data file and backups

After ACT! froze up and I restarted, all my data files and backups were nowhere to be found.  The only file left was the ACT2010DEMO.PAD file and I get the following error message when trying to open it: “Error accessing or processing a PAD file - \\Mac\Home\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Databases\ACT2010Demo.PAD” and then “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” 

ACT! 2010 v. 12.0.409.0

Windows 10 v. 1607 (OS Build 14393.321)

Running via Desktop Parallels Desktop for Mac v. 12.0.2 (41353), Sierra

Any suggestions on how to find/restore my missing file and backups?  Thanks!

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Missing data file and backups

They are most likely still there just not in the folder you are looking in.  They are usually in Documents\Act\Act Data\Databases but they can be in other folders if you have been an Act! user and upgraded over the years.  Check the Documents folder and then the two Act folders if you have two.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Yea, I've checked all the ACT and Document folders they're not where they were.  They use to be in the ACT database folder, but not anymore.  

Also, when I just tried to run actdiag.exe, it says “Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance.”

Platinum Elite Contributor

Act! 2010 is unlikely to be able to run properly under Windows 10 ... It used SQL 2005, which Microsoft never got working on windows 10.

It's likely that you'll need to upgrade your version of Act!

Not the news I was hoping to hear.  It had been working ok since I upgraded to Windows 10 just after it came out.  Are there any utilities or tools I can use to search my hard drive for the files?  Thanks for your help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

It's like to be damaged by a Windows 10 update...

Do a drive search for an *.adf file ... Even if Act! 2010 stops working, the files would still be there
Silver Super Contributor

In that case I would stop working on the system and get someone who knows how to recover deleted files to take a look at it.  If they have been deleted (which is very unlikely unless there is something else going on like a virus, etc.) they can probably be recovered but not if you accidentally write something on top of them.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!