Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Missing History when Synching

Copper Contributor

Missing History when Synching

I'm using ACT Premium 2010 with Windows 7 on a laptop.  I've correctly installed the RDB on this laptop.  When I synch I only receive some of the history from the database on the main server. 

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Missing History when Synching

How many times have you synced the database?  It is not true that everything will sync every time you press that sync button.  ACT! keeps a transaction log on the master database of changes sent and changes received.  It creates a kind of watermark of where the database has synced to.  Then on the next sync, it should pick up where it left off.

Another possible solution is that you need to refresh the database after you sync.  Go to your View Menu, then choose Refresh (near the bottom).

With multiple syncs and some refreshes, I am 99.99999% sure your data will come across.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Copper Contributor

Hi Mark -

It was strange.  When I synced I had two history entries for May 2, 2011.  When I looked at the main database there were over 20.  To solve the problem I just created a new RDB, restored it on the laptop and deleted the old database from the laptop.  All appears to be working fine now.  Thanks.

Bronze Super Contributor

The reason you would now see all 20 histories in the remote is because you created it a point where there were 20 in the master.

What Mark said still remains true and with this new remote you will likely see the same thing - i.e. - some data in the remote that is not yet synced.  This is by design and as expected...

Copper Contributor

Hi Scott -

When I synced the new remote database it included all histories.  None were omitted. 

??

Copper Elite Contributor

That is because you created a new RDB.  Anytime you make a RDB it will have all of the current data as of its creation.  No need to sync any data over until you start to make changes on the remote or the master.

I bet if you went back to your original RDB, synced... refreshed.... most, if not all of the 20 histories will have shown up.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Bronze Super Contributor

Right - Mark touches on another thing that often confuses people:  data refreshes...

So as to not consume needless PC resources, ACT! does not automatically refresh the data on a record that  changes or has additions to it's history/notes/etc. if you are looking at it while the sync occurs.  That is why you get  a message on the remote at the end of a successful sync that mentions having to Refresh.  (View Menu -> Refresh or F5 key on keyboard).

This is also true if you are in a group situation with multiple users - If I am looking at Mr B.  and you change something on him or add a new history while I am on the record, I will not see the updated/additional data unless I Refresh or move to another contact and come back...