04-28-2009 11:25 AM
2 remote computers are entering new users with email addresses, then syncing to the main database, but the remote computers are not picking up the email addresses from the other remote computer, while the main database has all the email addresses???
Has anyone had this problem and is there a resolution
04-28-2009 03:46 PM
04-28-2009 04:59 PM - edited 04-28-2009 05:03 PM
ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1
Single user versions
This just started happening recently
05-23-2010 10:44 PM
Well, at the time, the company I was working with was on an initial release of v11, so we updated to the most recent release, which is 11.1.183, and then cut new remotes for all the users, which fixed the issue (did not run DBFixer).
However, with your version, I believe you will want to download the DBFixer. Create new remotes and then run this on each one. Here's a blurb hidden at the end of one of the KB articles:
Using the DBFixer will not restore the data that didn't originally sync, so if data is currently missing, create a new remote database and then apply the DBFixer.
The KB articles are:
They link to each other, most of the info is in the first article. Hope this helps...
05-24-2010 05:27 AM
Thanks very much for your quick reply! That looks like a straightforward fix.
By the way, do you know what the risks are, of running that software that they recommend to fix the problem? Clearly something bad might happen; the warnings on that page ~seem~ more dire than usual -- I don't think they usually "highly" recommend that you backup your database before doing something.
While I am typing.. this is one of my biggest gripes against the ACT knowledgebase articles. They often have these sorts of disclaimers and warnings to back up your database, but they never disclose what might go wrong if you follow their advice... which makes it impossible to rationally judge whether I have time and willpower to go down the path they recommend....
But enough griping at the ACT folks - thank you again!
05-24-2010 07:28 PM
Well, clearly you have to ensure your seatbacks and tray tables are in the upright and locked position. Put your head between your legs and kiss...
ok, seriously, I don't know what "bad" can happen - I am extra-super diligent about making backups, not only daily, but for certain when doing something that is going to (or possibly might) change the db structure.
Now, from a hands-on perspective, I have done quite a few of the KB recommendations, DBFixer being one, registry settings, ACTDiag steps, etc - just not for the example you were describing. I have had good luck, but then again, this is what I do, and I tend to be over-cautious.
I know this didn't really answer your question, or address your concerns regarding the KB, but I also find that *any* software company puts out dire warnings like this...