Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Missing Act field in MS Word 2007

Tuned Listener

Missing Act field in MS Word 2007

I hope someone can help me again.

Using ACT 2008 V10.0.1.199 MS Word 2007 running VIsta Business. My ACT Fields do not show up at all. At first they did and I was able to get a few basic templates started but now nothing.

I open ACT, go to write, edit template, click on add-ins and then ACT, scroll down to the fields list and click, I always get the same error message.

"Counld not connect. The ACT! application is not running" I get this accessing it through ACT. I am confused.

I have look at all the posts I could find looking for answers to no avail. I have checked Word options, add-ins and have two active dll's running.

1. ACT Documents Tab Add-in  mscoree.dll   Com Add-in
2. ACT Office 2007 Add-in          mscoree.dll  Com Add-in

Also went to disabled items and there are none.

This problem seem to have started after installing update.

If anybody has suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Missing Act field in MS Word 2007

This ACT! Knowledge Base article refers to ACT! 2006... but might still work.

Let us know if this is the fix
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the info, it did not work.

I use ESET antivirus, ACT is set as an exclusion and I set ADT files not to be scanned but still the same thing.

I have no idea what is wrong.

Try deleting the normal.dotm file and rebooting the machine.Open word 2007 and then check if the Show feild list appears.
This has worked for me before.
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the info, I tried your suggestion and still the same, no ACT fields. One thing did happen, it created a new template but then I could not access ACT add-ins at all when opening a doc in ACT. Only after I restored the original file did it come back, all of the add-ins still showed under word options/add-ins.

Dave

To see if it's just template related, can you try this with a standard template in the Demo database?

If that still fails, can you run the Office Diagnostics (the new Detect and Repair):

Do the following in these 2007 Microsoft Office system programs:

Access, Excel, PowerPoint, or Word:
  1. Click the Microsoft Office ButtonButton image, and then click Access Options, Excel Options, PowerPoint Options, or Word Options.
  2. Click Resources.
  3. Click Diagnose, click Continue, and then click Start Diagnostics.
InfoPath, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Project, SharePoint Designer, and Visio:
  1. On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]
Mike,

Thanks for the input, I have tried everything suggested and still have the same issues and message, "Could not connect, the ACT! application is not running." Even though the template is opened in ACT. It is the same in my DB and the Demo DB.

Now so you know I use a special normal.dot, it is called vletter.dot for my own handwriting font. I have renamed the templates so they are not used, done everything that has been suggested.

I get the same message on converted 6.0 templates, trying to create a new template and on the templates in the Demo DB.

I just do not know were the problem really is, ACT, Word or somewhere else.

Also I am having a new problem, if my db is open and just sitting there, it locks up and I have to go to task manager to close it. It seem ok if I am using it, only when idle. I am on V10.0.1 with Vista up to date.

Dave

Message Edited by dcparris on 03-18-2008 11:02 AM

For the template issue, can you try uninstalling your anti virus and trying it to be sure if that's the issue? If so, we can look at how to avoid it. If not, we can look for something else.

Re the locking up, how long does it take to lock?
Is the database on your local machine or a LAN?
When it locks and you open the Task Manager, in the Processors tab, is anythng running (CPU %)?
Tuned Listener

Your Good, I took my anti-virus software off and it started working. All the fields popped up as soon as I clicked on Act Fields.

Currently using ESET virus, firewall and antispam.(NOD-32)  I had went and added ACT exe to the exclusion file, either added the wrong one or something.

As far as locking that has gone away, last night I used the uninstaller.exe to remove act, re-installed it and the problem seems to be gone.

Just need to figure out how to keep virus ware on and not affect Act.

Also noticed that the ADT extension is in my registry, now I can save my templates as ACT templates instead of docs and then having to rename them. I have reinstalled ACT no less than 4 times so I probably should have used the uninstaller.exe the first time.

Any suggestions on the antivirus would be appreciated.

Dave

Excluse ADT files from the AV?
If it has an Office Plug-in option, try turning that off?