Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migration of database from standalone to share server

Migration of database from standalone to share server

I am getting ready to clean install ACT! Pro 2013 SP1 (and HotFix 4) on a standalone PC with Win7 Pro x64 .

I have a 2010 version data file I will be performing a "restore as" from a previous machine/installation.

I will have to install the SQL server in the standalone PC to get ACT! to function initially.

In the near future I will be seting up another machine w/ WinServer 2012 Essentials (x64) on which a server-based ACT! install will have a database to share.

At that point I will be ready to transition the standalone PC into a client on the network.

When the server (w/ its own SQL server installation) goes on-line, will I need to uninstall SQL server from the client (old standalone) or do a clean reinstall of ACT! w/o the SQL component?

Or will the then client PC use the new server's shared database just fine, with the now unused SQL server previously installed for it's standalone use.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Nickel Contributor

Re: Migration of database from standalone to share server

All you will need to do is install ACT! on the server restore the database and then share the database via ACT!. On the old werkstation you would just need to open the database on the server. 

You don't need to uninstall SQL on the workstation if you don't want too, and as long as the machine has the same version of ACT! then you also do not need to re-unstall the application on the workstation.

You will need to make sure that you add the sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowser.exe through the firewall http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19420 this will help

Re: Migration of database from standalone to share server

Thank you very much for the info.