Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migration From GoldMine 6.7 to ACT

rds

Migration From GoldMine 6.7 to ACT

We have been contemplating move from GM to ACT for our 5 person officeMy major concern is if I will be able to migrate information from the Details, Link, Members and History tabsWe utilize the GM details not only to store email addresses and web sites but to create categories that we can construct groups and do mass emailing based on those groupsI haven't seen if the ACT migration software handles that level of migration between the two programs or if we have to hire a clerk for the next two years to type in the info.

I'd appreciate any insight into this.

Also can ACT sync with the iPhone?

Brian Folkes

RDS

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Migration From GoldMine 6.7 to ACT

[ Edited ]

I found this article in the act! knowledgebase 

Importing Information from Other Database Programs without Losing Notes, History, or Activities

ACT! 11 is cheap enough and well worth the money.

Check this out  from previous forum post/reply

Have a look at this addon from www.exponenciel.com

Advanced Layout Tools -- Notifier Pack

Cheers - FSB

<Fixed URL>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 02-16-2009 08:49 AM
Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
rds

Thanks.  Unfortunately the link was a dead end on the ACT article.  The other links didn't seem to address my question.  Not knowing how ACT is structured I have no clue as to where our "details" would be stored within the contact's information and if we would be able to create groups from that "detail" which could then be sent a mass email.  I have talked to VARs who can't answer my questions which is puzzeling unless no one utilizes the program as a marketing tool.

Brian Folkes

RDS

Platinum Elite Contributor

I know an ACC (not me) that can do a Goldmine to ACT! conversion that brings over most of the Goldmine information. Send me a private message and I will provide the contact information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I've recently converted a Goldmine 6.5 database with 17K records to Act 2009. The GM database was .dbf format and I don't recall whether GM 6.7 allowed .dbf or not, so my experience in using MigrateAdmin (an Act addin) may not apply to your situation.

I found that Act was able to duplicate most Goldmine features, though sometimes with a different twist.

The biggest user complaint is about the difference in how Act handles emails compared to the GM Email center and bugs in the Act/Outlook addin.

• Outlook 2003 has known problems integrating with Act 2009 (failure to shut down, can't process email headers). Act Email was not an option because it does not allow changing the smtp port to Comcast's nonstandard port.
  • Act QuickAttach does not duplicate GM's email attachment process. Setting up Outlook rules comes close but doesn't show the history of whether attachments were successful. In the end we are learning to use Outlook, QuickAttach, and Act.

MigrateAdmin did import Goldmine emails, attachments, contact info, secondary contacts, history, notes, groups, and most everything else. Surprises with MigrateAdmin were

• The imported HTML email arrived as plain text so HTML tags appear in the Act History pane
  • Act Standard permits only 10 users. If GM has users who are no longer active and you exceed the 10 user limit extra users do not import. This in turn require deleting GM users, which is its own set of headaches.
  • The license strategy limits you to 5 databases and we kept running into license restrictions as we tested various scenarios of importing one GM db into one Act db. MigrateAdmin support was helpful and provided additional license numbers, but still.
  • GM records crashed MigrateAdmin due to malformed GM dates. MigrateAdmin support and the developer fixed this on the spot and provided an updated program.

We went with MigrateAdmin after testing the Act GM Import capabilities which we found too limited to accomplish what we wanted. In the end it was an adventure and took far more time than we had anticipated, mainly because of problems with Act's integration with Outlook.

If you have specific questions let me know.

Doc

rds

Wow...it's starting to sound like maybe we just need to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest version of GM, despite Front Ranges draconian purchase policies.  Our email is the most critical aspect of our operation and we use GM's email rather than interface with Outlook.  We also send our outgoing email through COX and it sounds like we may have a similar problem as you experienced with Comcast.  It does sound like you were able to bring groups into ACT.  Are your Groups derived from the Details like ours are?  We don't generally create Groups through Filters as we have many Details we have accumulated over the 10+ years we have used GM.  If so, were there any problems associated with importing them through  Migrate?  I believe GM 6.7 does use .dbf and that's one of the problems we are running into along with the fact that our email history is banging up against GM limit.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brian Folkes

RDS

www.recoverydistribution.net

Tuned Listener

As you point out, FrontRange has retargeted for big companies, leaving small GoldMine companies with the decision to upgrade GM (and become an IT shop or hire an ongoing consultant), use a hosted CRM, or migrate to Act (which is pick of the litter despite it's problems). I'd go with Act again even though it was as much fun as a root canal.

MigrateAdmin brings in groups as static rather than dynamic, so far as I can tell. I suspect you'll need to set up the criteria to maintain group membership in Act. As for GM Details, they seem to end up in Act Notes. I don't know whether you can create dynamic group membership in Act based on Notes content, but I suspect not since it doesn't appear as a field in Act advanced query for contacts. Perhaps an Act expert will comment on this and prove me naive.

We migrated the entire Email history, which in retrospect was a mistake because now we have attachment size issues even though Act uses less space (2GB in Act versus 2.5GB in GM). If I did it again I'd migrate in two steps: key accounts with email history and then other accounts, leaving email in GM. After all, most of the email is junk and looking up old emails in GM would be acceptable.

If you decide to avoid Outlook and Cox does require nonstandard smtp, Act email may be the show stopper. We investigated alternative approaches such as having the router redirect the standard port to the Comcast port, but gave up when it became an exercise in network design. I've heard that ISP's will change the smtp port back to standard if you plead but we didn't try that, figuring Comcast was unlikely to get that right over time. While our users moaned about Outlook, a month after the cut they have begun to appreciate it (or gave up any hope of going back to GM, I suppose).

Finally, if you do proceed I'd advise thoroughly testing MigrateAdmin and talking with their support, which is terrific, early in the game.  We did trials and still ended up rolling back to GM to regroup and try again. If you do use MigrateAdmin, I have some specifics that might also help.