Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migrating database to another computer

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Migrating database to another computer

I've read through Answer ID's 30304, 19818, 19211, and 13878. However since I haven't done this before I wanted to be certain I have a thorough understanding of what needs to be done.

Right now the Act 16 database resides on a PC where the 3 users access it over the network. They want it moved to their server. The PC is running version 16.2.14.0 Hotfix 2. The server was running 16.1.207.0 Hotfix 2. I figured the server should be at least the same version as the PC so I installed the latest update which now brings the server version up to 16.3.11.0 Hotfix 2. I don't know what version the other PCs are running. Do I need to update them so they are all the same version as the server is now?

I first plan to make a backup of the database. Then I presume I just follow the steps in article 30304 to move the database from the PC to the server. Do I then need to connect to the database on the server from each workstation? The 3 users already know how to connect over the network as they had to do that to connect to it on the PC where it's currently at. I'm just not sure there's anything else I need to do so the users can quickly get to the database to start their work when they come in the next morning.

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author SmlBizAdmin
‎10-21-2015 06:48 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Migrating database to another computer

It is important that the users and server have the same version.

When you restore the database on the server, copy the PAD file to the user's desktop. (as shortcut)

Best regards,

5.png

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author SmlBizAdmin
‎10-21-2015 06:48 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

It is important that the users and server have the same version.

When you restore the database on the server, copy the PAD file to the user's desktop. (as shortcut)

Best regards,

5.png

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

Juan,

Thanks for the information about the version being the same and copying the PAD. I probably would have updated all clients just to be safe but I would not have known about copying the pad.

Jonathan