Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migrating ACT 2000 to ACT 2007

Migrating ACT 2000 to ACT 2007

When I migrate ACT 2000 to ACT 2007 by opening the .dbf file with ACT 2007, I get error when the migration reaches Notes and Histories (The Contacts and Groups tables seem to be ok) . The error is ' The INSERT Statement conflicted with the Foreign Key Constraint 'NOTE_CREATEUSERID_FK'. This terminates the migration. Possibly there is some corruption in the ACT 2000 database. Running a database repair (with the diagnostic tool, actdiag.exe) did not help. One approach (which I have not tried yet) is to create an empty database with ACT 2000 and create an identical database structure for the Contacts and Groups tables. Then import the corrupt database into the empty database. Reasoning here is that creating a new database will remove the corruption. I am unsure if the corruption in Notes and Histories will carry forward because in this approach we are essentially recreating the Contacts and Groups (not Notes and Histories). I was wondering if there is an alternate way out of this.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Migrating ACT 2000 to ACT 2007

The "Red Flags" utility from Cornerstone solutions is what you need. Read about it here http://www.cornerstonesolutions.com/redflag.html. It examines your database and advises you of items to be fixed before upgrading. Highly recommended.
Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au
Platinum Elite Contributor

The import into an empty copy often resolves database problems, It's worth a try.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

While I will try RedFlags, I was wondering if there is some way to read a .ADF file. When the database wizard (of ACT 2007) started migration, I cancelled out and got a large .ADF file (along with some other files). I believe the .ADF holds the entire database (with some corrupt records in Notes and Histories tables, of course).  I could try reading-in the database file with ACT 2007 (and  I am sure that it would barf when reading the Notes and Histories). Any suggestion if there is some other software that could read the .ADF or alternate routes that I could take to parse the .ADF? Thanks.

Is there a trial version of RedFlags that could be used? We are a small business and would like to try it out first. Thanks.