Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migrate ACT 2011 from 2003 SBS to New 2008 R2 server

Migrate ACT 2011 from 2003 SBS to New 2008 R2 server

Hi,

I am completely new to this software and have the task of replacing a 2003 SBS server with a new 2008 R2 server. ACT 2011 pro is currently installed on the 2003 SBS server and i need to migrate the software over to the 2008 server. currently 3 users use the ACT software and they use the sync function and Outlook integration function.

what is the best way to achieve this whilst minimising user disruption?

Kind Regards

Dave

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Migrate ACT 2011 from 2003 SBS to New 2008 R2 server

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The most straightforward way:

SERVER

- Install ACT! on the new server

- Install and configure the Network Sync Service and/or Internet Sync Service on the new server (whichever you were using on the old server).

- Move your ACT! database from the old server to the new server per the instructions in KB Article 23392.

REMOTE DATABASES

- On each remote database, go to the menu and select Tools > Synchronization Panel

- In the Synchronization Panel, click Manage Connection Information under User Tasks.

- Update the server information with that of the new server

- Save changes and close the sync panel

If you also have users that access the database via the network (not using remote databases), they will need to use the new .PAD file to access the database. They will also need to remove the ACT! address book from Outlook, then re-add with new .PAD file, as well as select the new .PAD for Outlook contact/calendar syncing.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Migrate ACT 2011 from ACT 2008 Premium

Why is this complicated, cannot open database

Have spent an entire day od mis-direction and on hold for an average of 30min, only to be told I need tech support and the 800 number when I called the 800 number.

These are both ACT products why don't you have this down by now?

Not happy with the lack of support.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Migrate ACT 2011 from ACT 2008 Premium

Hello emilh8,
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having and the long hold times for support. If you can provide the following information, we can try to help in this forum:
- What version of ACT! do you have?
- What operating system does your computer use?
- What is the issue or error message you are seeing when trying to open your database?
- Is your database local to your machine or hosted on a server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.