Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft Windows Home Server

Microsoft Windows Home Server

I have ACT! for Real Estate Version 10 with 2 Licenses. I currently have the database installed on one machine that is also used as a workstation. I was thinking about installing a computer running Windows Home Server. My question is can I install ACT! for Real Estate Version 10 on a machine that is running Windows Home Server and use it as my ACT! server for my 2 workstations?

Re: Microsoft Windows Home Server

ACT! hasn't been tested on Windows Home Server.  At this time, Windows Home Server is an unsupported environment.  You can certainly try to install and see if it works though.
Copper Elite Contributor

It's 2010, any update on ACT (2009 or 2010) working on Windows Home Server?
Tuned Listener

It would be great to see if Windows Home Server works, so I thought I would give it a try. I am making some progress.

1) Act installs on WHS. I installed Act 2010 on the WHS machine and was able to access the current database which resides on a Windows 7 machine.

2) Moved database to WHS machine - I backed up the current database residing on the Windows 7 machine to a location on the WHS machine. Then "restored as", to a location on the WHS machine with the new name "databaseWHS". Windows home server can open this database. Getting closer.

3) From the Windows 7 machine, I tried to open the pad file on the WHS machine ("databaseWHS"). No luck.

I tried turning off the firewall on the WHS machine, even though Act was set as an exception. Still no luck. I tried opening the .adf file directly from the Windows 7 machine. Still no luck. I will continue to try other fixes tomorrow. I know Act's official stance on WHS is that it isn't supported, but I looks like it works. Act runs on the WHS machine with a local database. Act can run on WHS machine as a client, opening a database on a Windows 7 machine. Seems like it should work as a server.

Any Suggestions?

Copper Elite Contributor

Have you checked that the WHS database is set to share? 

I only ask because I once spent an afternoon diagnosing a similar problem when I stumbled upon the fact my db was not shareable.  Two seconds later everything was fine.  I felt like an idiot, but the db was running! Smiley Happy

Tuned Listener

GregH wrote:

Have you checked that the WHS database is set to share? 

I only ask because I once spent an afternoon diagnosing a similar problem when I stumbled upon the fact my db was not shareable.  Two seconds later everything was fine.  I felt like an idiot, but the db was running! Smiley Happy

Yes, the database is set to sharing (checked). When you restore a database it asks you if you want to share it. Plus I verified that it was checked when I ran Act on the WHS machine. Thanks for the suggestion, I have often forgot about this as well.

Platinum Super Contributor

To try and help out... the most common error when sharing a database is: The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..

Here is an article that describes steps for resolving this error: Database could not be accessed...

The 2 most common problems are not enough exceptions added to firewall and the network not translating the host name.  These are the 9th and last bullets in the article, but you may to try additional steps.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have worked through this document before on different versions of ACT and made sure I was not missing something.

The error message I get when I try to open the .ADF file within ACT from a Windows 7 client machine is "You don't have permission to open this file". So I can only assume it is a permissions related.

From the WHS machine. I made sure EVERY user had Full access to the ACT folder and verified that the individual files .ADF .ALF etc had full permissions as well for all users. From the Windows 7 client machine things are different. The Act folder shows full access, but the individual files .ADF .ALF when I check the security settings show "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings".

Any suggestions. I need to learn more about permissions.
Tuned Listener

I think I uncovered a fundamental problem with Windows Home Server. In Windows 7, under the security tab, individual user names like "Bob Smith", or the user name "Everyone" show up. This is not the case with Windows Home Server. So when I stated that I gave Full Access, what I did, was give full access to the current list of users. But in Windows Home Server, the individual computers or users don't show up, nor is there an "Everyone" user.

The method in which users are granted access is different, so I am not sure if this project is going to work. 

John (and others),

Have you figured it out.  I do not have a WHS yet, but i have been thinking about it.  I would like my DB to reside on the WHS so I and my one employee could modify the DB remotely.

Is this possible?

Thanks!