Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft Windows Home Server

Tuned Listener

Re: Microsoft Windows Home Server

I was not able to figure it out. But then I am only a part time techie. But I don't think it is possible. The next version of WHS (V2 or Vail) will be coming out in 4-6 months? Maybe it will work then, maybe not.

My work around was to create a remote database and then have that database synced with the main database using LogMeIn - Hamachi. It is actually a pretty elegant solution, and I think maybe better, for a laptop, because connectivity isn't necessary. If it was a desktop always connected, then being logged into the main database would be better.
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks for the update.

Thanks.  So just to clarify so I make sure I understand what you said...

You have the main database on the WHS, and then set up a remote DB on your laptop.  Then you said you sync using LogMeIn and Hamachi. 

I will have to look into that so learn what you are doing.

I am thinking though that I would not want my part-time employee logging into my WHS to do the sync.

Any other options/considerations?

Tuned Listener

rcurry71 - Sorry for the lack of clarification. I do not have the main database on the WHS. I have kept the database on my main pc, which runs Hamachi. When my partner wants to sync, we both need to activate Hamachi. Then it looks like the machines are on the same local area network.

I spoke with a Sage sales rep last week about upgrading to ACT Premium 2011 when it comes out and that it will run on an HP home server I have that runs Windows Home Server.  I checked with HP support and they said they didn't think so.  Is this something that is going to happen?  I have two users in my office and one user in another state I want to have web access to Act for. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

To the Sage Team - I would also definitely be interested in seeing official support for ACT 2011 with Windows Home Server.  At lease some instructions referring to how to make it work would be a nice start even if it's "not officially supported".